Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wind energy to electric energy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just thinking about when two magnets pass by an armature .. that the
problem is when one magnets flux is in the center and about to cut through, and
the other magnets flux is at the outside about to cut through .. that the flux
isnt cutting through the same loop..
even though it is the same winding, the outer magnet is cutting through the outer windings .. thats why there is a peak , only when the magnets flux is cutting through the core( and therefore the same physical loop) of the armature is there a peak ..
i was thinking that if you could shift the loops around , then the most flux would be cutting through a series of loops for a sustained peak..

i think it would be more efficient..

this is sooo cool...
i have the propellers hooked to the tach device , and we are having a winter storm at this moment with very strong gusts ..
here is some data of the gusts..
Code:
Time   RPM 
5:30    750 
6:15    857
6:25    1200
one problem is the wind is blowing smack at the side of the building so only when it blows from the north or the south does it really get going..
i think that they are predicting North west winds all night 26 MPH sustained with 39 MPH gusts 8) :lol:
just had two more 1200 RPM gusts
just had a gust that regestered 1500 RPM..

as far as converting the junk yard motor to a generator , i have given up on that.. :) :wink: :(
it was insanely complicated , the way i wanted to do it..because i only had .300 '' between the armature/rotor and the case..and winding coils that would fit proved more difficult than i had imagined..
but the propellers did turn my first generator ( the one with the saw blade ) at over 400 RPM , with the fan on high.. :D

re: motors

Go with the steper motors from old printers and computer controlled machines as they make power at low rpm and it's alot easier than building your own alt for the mini gennies, try using a R/C aeroplane propeller adaptor to connect the prop to the motor shaft, use diodes to convert to dc power and wallah it works!

Re: re: motors

peterpan said:
Go with the steper motors from old printers and computer controlled machines as they make power at low rpm and it's alot easier than building your own alt for the mini gennies, try using a R/C aeroplane propeller adaptor to connect the prop to the motor shaft, use diodes to convert to dc power and wallah it works!

But he's having so much fun :lol:

The thread has now stretched to 11 pages, and he keeps us all interested with his exploits - introducing common sense will only spoil the enjoyment!.

savonious

while ago I made a savonious from pvc piping that gave a different perspective to savonious being slow and torquey, made from 90mm down pipe and about 4m tall the thing spun super fast but I never hooked a gen or a tach to get any readings very cheap to make and good for a place where a hawt are frowned upon by the communuty, when spinning looks abit like a pole.

Three of these in a triangle support at the top and bottom may hold itself up and might not need a frame, ie each one supports the other.

Could be a new kind of art form eh??

this is the rotor from the abandoned motor project..
the magnets are supported by the lamenates from the old armature.
i origionally had just four magnets this picture has 12 , six doubled up, for more magnetic flux....
if they look like they tilt twards the inside , on the left , they do.. I was trying to make more room for the coils..
i am in the process of making an armature winder of sorts..
peterpan, i am very interrested in your savonious would it be possible to post a picture of it ? , or at least a diagram?

Attachments

• armature.jpg
    armature.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 4,000
Remember the tuna head anomemeter from a while back..well i am going to use that, ( slightly differently ) and using peterpans idea of the three bladed savonious.. it should be awesome !! :D so instead of just three tuna heads , i am going to try nine , to start with..three stacked ,one above the other..connected on Aluminum strips , anchored to a six inch disk on the top and bottom , with a 1/4 20 threaded rod going down the center, all this will be placed on my first generator,the one with the 8 inch saw blade for the rotor..i may or may not need a bearing on the top, we will see..
the armature winder needs work.. more on that later..

savonious

I may have confused people with the description the three thingy, I do not mean the mill had three blades although I belive three blades are better than only using two, I was refering to the extravagant framework some people have used hold the top bearing. Usually there are two or three upright poles around the outside connected by a crossbar at the top which holds the bearing to stabilise the central rod of the mill, I 'm thinking we may be able to substitute the frame for other mills, say three in a triangle formation??.

Attachments

• savonious.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 3,908
well it wasnt awesome..lol
i suppose i should have stuck with the propellers..the tuna heads didnt come close to the props in speed..240 Vs. 526 RPM .. no contest ...oh well .. i had to try ..

it worked , but it didnt have the torque , or the speed , to turn the generator , as well as the propellers do..probably because the propellers dont have the negetive effect of having to push the opposing heads around to catch the wind..which i suppose is the problem of all savonius types...
looks kind of rube goldbergish dosent it..lol

Attachments

• rube.jpg
    rube.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 3,845
williB said:
but it didnt have the torque , or the speed , to turn the generator , as well as the propellers do..probably because the propellers dont have the negetive effect of having to push the opposing heads around to catch the wind..which i suppose is the problem of all savonius types...
l

The bigger problem with savonius type windmills is that they simply do not have the same swept area of a comparable size propellor facing the wind. Hence they cannot extract anywhere near the energy.

With a propellor its the swept circle area minus a small part for the hub that gets energy from the wind.
With savonius types its only 1/2 the swept rectangular area.
Some egg beater canting blade designs might be more efficient than the simple savonius at the expense of complexity.

The downside of propellor type windmills is that they need a tail to face them in the right direction unless the prop is designed to face downwind.
In the latter case the wind shadow from the supporting mast plays a role ( the blades might make more noise from the unloading in the shadow).

Keep at it fellows and have fun :D

Klaus

i just had another milestone ..
i was able to light a tail light by wind power alone..
i did not know that the camera could stop action like that , that fan is on high !!
i have 22 magnets on the rotor, about 1/2 '' apart. and i was getting 20 V no load from four armatures..
after about ten seconds it slows down too much to keep the bulb lit..but hey, with more wind ( than a fan) it might keep going..
EDIT:: both filiments of the bulb are not lit ,just the one with the skinnier wire . must be the camera.. :roll:

Attachments

• 1157_bulb.jpg
    1157_bulb.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 3,385
  • wind_gen.jpg
    wind_gen.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 3,393
williB, did you read about this: **broken link removed**
? it may help getting you even more power from your wonderful device
:wink:

Klaus

P.S. interesting how the camera also showed that your once nicely staggered propellors are no longer nicely staggered :D

yeah i learned a lot from that site ..and i have been thinking about how i could use two rotors .. in my set up i would have to support the generator by the armatures which would be sandwiched between the rotors..its not out of the question , just a little more difficult..
as for the propellers , whose idea i got from Doug Selsam ( see bottom of page six of this thread ) when they slip ,they tend to follow in the slip stream of the one in front of them , like the middle one did,.. ideally there should be more space between them..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back