Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMPTE IC to OLED Display

I'm in the process of that IC SMPTE that is already in an instrument. I would like to convert the signals from it to LCD/OLED display. I'm considering an RPI2 microcontroller. But I don't know how to decode the SMPT IC to generate video/audio signals to the path. What I have seen from the schematic is just the video signals ONLY decoded into the current LCD display which I want to use an alternative one. The original LCD is 248x60 How to approach that please? Any suggestions?

1710074495617.png

1710074507420.png

Seems like you can target the source side or the client side of the ICS2008
to accomplish your goal. My inclination is the source side easier. Its not clear
to me, w/o investigation, what data rate looks like on source side, but thinking
an FPGA like engine to decode the command going to 2008 would be the way to
go. And FPGA then drives the OLED.

Too bad you cant modify code in system as 2008 has a UART which could be
used to minimize interface.....

Are you considering just time display on OLED or that + video ?

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
danadak
Thanks for your answer Dana.
I would like to target the client side of the ICS2008. I would like to replace the current LCD that it has.
I've been reading the data sheet for several hours with no luck on a procedure.
Can you elabroate on that approach ?
or some pseudo code that decodes the VITC from that IC ? some pseudocode would help a lot

So you need to read the VITC code from the video output stream ?

I cant tell from datasheet what the actual format of the data, analog
levels and digital timing, is of the VITC in the Video stream.....
That info will have to come from vendor of part.

Its apparently interframe data, I guess if its actual video levels/characters
one could digitize the interframe period and then scale that back out to OLED
display....?

Regards, Dana.

Thats not the client side of the 2008, but I agree source side, data into the
2008, would be easier.

So you would read a frame into a buffer of input data, then scan the data
for the VITC code and extract that. A state machine that finds the origin
of the data and handles its format to regurgitate it to the OLED

Regards, Dana.

It's pretty confusing what you're actually wanting to do? - but I presume you've got an item with an exiting LCD display (that has presumably failed), and you're wanting to replace it with a different display?.

I also presume, the two partial diagrams at the top are the socket for the display, and the chip which feeds that socket? - although there seems little correlation between pin labels?.

I would suggest it's a pretty complicated problem - you've first got to emulate the existing display driver, so you can read the incoming data (bearing in mind there's probably lot's of set up data and commands as well), build up the screen image in memory, and then transfer that out to the new display, along with all that's setup data and commands requirements.

I fail to see what SMPTE and VITC have to do with it?.

Nigel Goodwin
Your all assumptions are correct. But the interface to the existing LCD is connected to the above ICS2008AV
So what I have assumed is that I need to decode SMPTE VITC data and the characters using another microcontroller, and feed/extract that to another LCD/OLED.
Another question What is the interface to ICS2008AV ? is it SPI ?

Last edited:
Nigel Goodwin
Your all assumptions are correct. But the interface to the existing LCD is connected to the above ICS2008AV
So what I have assumed is that I need to decode SMPTE VITC data and the characters using another microcontroller, and feed/extract that to another LCD/OLED.
Another question What is the interface to ICS2008AV ? is it SPI ?

If the LCD connects to that socket, then according to the full circuit you've just posted, the datalines of that socket (D0-D7) connect to IC50, not to the ICS2008AV which doesn't seem to be very much a programmable chip?.

The 'burn in window' is presumably (from the chip datasheet) the section of the video screen where you can gen-lock the time code data - nothing to do with the LCD. As it's not a video system the video in's and out's aren't used.

Nigel Goodwin
But IC50 has nothing to do with LCDs and data, only ICS2008AV that does, and there are some pins that named CPUD0 on it too. that's so confusing.
If that's true and you confirm that, giving that that Signals of the LCD socket are truely matched with the ICS2008AV, How do I copy the Data bus data signals and complete a frame, video buffer, so that I can send it to another LCD display ?

Nigel Goodwin
But IC50 has nothing to do with LCDs and data, only ICS2008AV that does, and there are some pins that named CPUD0 on it too. that's so confusing.
If that's true and you confirm that, giving that that Signals of the LCD socket are truely matched with the ICS2008AV, How do I copy the Data bus data signals and complete a frame, video buffer, so that I can send it to another LCD display ?
What makes you think that?, IC50 looks to be the processor doing everything, and connects via the databus to read SMTPE etc. from the ICS2008AV. IC50 then presumably drives the display. The ICS2008AV is a peripheral, and not a processor.

Refer to post #10 for how you would need to replace the display - NOT easy.

Do you know what chip the display uses?, it would be even more difficult with out having a datasheet for the display chip.

Nigel Goodwin
There is another company that replicated with no access to any materials/code or anything, the LCD socket of that old device that has defected LCD, and replaced the LCD socket board with the following board.
Do you have an idea on how did they proceed with that ?
1710098150536.jpeg

Nigel Goodwin
There is another company that replicated with no access to any materials/code or anything, the LCD socket of that old device that has defected LCD, and replaced the LCD socket board with the following board.
Do you have an idea on how did they proceed with that ?
They spent a LOT of time and money on it, and there seems to be a Raspberry Pi logo on the processor, so they are using a pretty powerful processor.

I'd suggest buying one from them, it would be a lot cheaper, and much, much faster.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back