Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clock Timer : School Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
i constructed this circuit in a PCB last night. Is it bad to have a few flying wires? It was pretty hard to avoid not using them

When you cascade 4510's to form an Up/Dn counter you can use the existing pins on the 4510's rather than AND gates.
Look at this image, I prefer the synchronous/parallel method of clocking.

Google: Cascading 4510 for more info.

E

BTW:
I assume the mode of operation is that you manually increment the counter to say 30 secs and then use the 555 output to decrement down to zero.???
How do you plan to stop the down count when it reaches 00.??

IF the maximum count is some fixed value between 1 and 99 you could use the Parallel Load to preset the counter to this value.

I haven't learnt about Parallel Load? What is it :)

i constructed this circuit in a PCB last night. Is it bad to have a few flying wires? It was pretty hard to avoid not using them
Do you mean the blue jumper wires? Yeah that is not good practice (but it will work). You should be able to fix that by using a double sided board. But... If you must use jumpers, or can't make double sided, then lay it out such that the jumpers do not run over IC's and are clean looking ie. use short vertical or horizontal, not zigzag. But all in all, your doing a good job, and I commend your work.

I haven't learnt about Parallel Load? What is it :)
hi.
On the 4510 are 4 pins marked L1,2,4,8.
When all set Low and pulsing Pload Hi, All the Q outputs will be Low.

If however you wanted preload the 4510's with say '29', the MSD L8,4,2,1 would be connected as Lo,Lo,Hi,Lo and the LSD as Hi,Lo,Lo,Hi.
So now when the Pload is pulsed hi, the 4510 and LED displays would show '29'.
You could then could count down from '29' to '00'
Pressing Pload would reload the 29, or whatever number you have set on the L8,4,2,1 pins.

OK.

Oh okay that sounds cool, is there any way I could modify my design so with the timer hits 'Zero,zero' then it stops?
Yes,
Use /TC pins as per the parallel clocking circuit I posted, fix the counters for Down count, this will free up the 2 Input NAND gates, use them to detect '00' on the 4510's.
Use two NAND gates to form a Latch, Set the Latch to Enable the counters, say with a Start push button and use the '00' detect to Clear the latch and Stop the counters.

OK.?

hi,
Do you have the datasheet for the 4510 IC.?

It's much simpler to use this 4 digit counter and change the program.
4DigitCounterCct.gif

No sorry but what are the data sheets for? Just information about the IC? or....
hi,
Here you are, attached d/s for 4510
It is a good idea when working with logic IC's, to have the datasheet handy.
E

Attachments

• HEF4510.pdf
    135.3 KB · Views: 239
A little about practical aspects of the device...

Maximum duration of the 99s is too short. Blitz game last at minimum 3 or 5 minutes, usually 15. It is possible to trim 555 timer, however players may lost some sense of real time.

Certainly it is far easier and cheaper to use any MCU, however this is great way to familiarize with logic gates and some other basic ICs.

What actually recommendations of the project are?

A little about practical aspects of the device...

Maximum duration of the 99s is too short. Blitz game last at minimum 3 or 5 minutes, usually 15. It is possible to trim 555 timer, however players may lost some sense of real time.

Certainly it is far easier and cheaper to use any MCU, however this is great way to familiarize with logic gates and some other basic ICs.

What actually recommendations of the project are?
Yeah I figured that haha, but thats why I placed a variable resistor in the 555 timer circuit so the timer duration per pulse is longer. So if both players timers are the same therefore it doesn't technically need to be exactly in 1 second increments....
My teacher asked me if I would make a 7 segment display, change digits when a button is pressed, with a reset button and input allower but felt like going a bit further by making this. Even though it wouldn't be the best for practical activity and will have a few flaws, i think it would be a great achievement with alot of skills and knowledge improved :)

Many kids are barely interested today for anything more than they are obligated. And use quite a lot google to find finished solution, make them practically useless and "google foo masters only" with diploma....

Well, bright feature certainly waiting for you...

Also at 2 second increments both sides will be exposed to 3.3 minutes, which I guess is a alright game but only with experience players (Because beginners probably woudl waste 3.3minutes on the first 5 moves lol)

Many kids are barely interested today for anything more than they are obligated. And use quite a lot google to find finished solution, make them practically useless and "google foo masters only" with diploma....

Well, bright feature certainly waiting for you...
Electronics has sure hit home somewhere with me.. Considering this is my first 4 weeks of electronics in high school, I reckon I'm picking it up quite quickly but as you can obviosly see, I have alot of study left to go haha thanks

I have started to construct a circuit diagram of a chess clock
Hi C,
I understood your original assignment was a Chess timing clock.?
Looking at your last few posts, your original project is now suffering from what is known as 'feature creep'.

It is always very tempting to add 'bells and whistles' to your project, try very hard to resist.:nailbiting:

To paraphrase what KISS says in post #79, get the original circuit working, but allow for 'later' expansion.

Did you study and understand the 4510 d/s regarding the /TC pin.?
Also what was your answer regarding the current limiting resistors for the 4511.?

E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back