Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Apple Safari

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roff

Apple is offering me their Safari browser for XP. Are any of you using it? Tried it and switched back? It's a 22Meg download, so I don't want to fool with it unless it might be worthwhile. Right now I'm using Firefox, and IE occasionally as required.
EDIT: Apple claims it is "up to 1.7 times faster than Mozilla Firefox 2".

Last edited:
I also use FireFox (and IE in a VM when forced to) and have no complaints.

The main reason I would be tempted to try Safari is just because I'm a web developer by day, and it would be useful for checking cross-browser compatibility with my sites. However, all of my work currently is for custom intranet sites where the clients typically mandate only IE and possibly FireFox; they don't care about anything else.

My gut feeling is that unless Safari is offering some killer feature you can't live without, it would just be change for the sake of change. At any rate, it might be fun to take it for a spin.

Torben

Edit: For my personal browsing, if it ain't got Greasemonkey, I ain't interested. Safari has Greasekit and PithHelmet but as far as I know, they are only available on Mac OS.

Last edited:
Safari

Apple is offering me their Safari browser for XP. Are any of you using it? Tried it and switched back? It's a 22Meg download, so I don't want to fool with it unless it might be worthwhile. Right now I'm using Firefox, and IE occasionally as required.

I use both on my PC. However I'm running VM ware for Windows while I'm on my MAC Laptop.

I can use windows with a drag and drop from either system. I like it a lot.

I have a Program I'm learning that will allow me to compile for use in video interphase units. Meanwhile I'm still able to go from either system without any trouble ?

I've leaned there are some work rounds that will allow a PC to also have Leopard os10. Problem with it is you cannot get updates.

My only experience with Safari is with my MAC side of life (no problems)

I like the fact of not worrying about the Virus's and spyware so much anymore.

EDIT: Apple claims it is "up to 1.7 times faster than Mozilla Firefox 2".

could be true, but Firefox3 is alot faster then Safari

problem with safari is it is a complete security nightmear (there was a recent vuln that apple refused to fix for ages where a website could create hundreds of files on your desktop if you use the PC version of safari), more so then internet explorer. The only people I know that use it are Web developers (even the Mac based developers use Firefox for their browsing)

Last edited:
Firefox is the way to go. firefox3 is amazing, except it only crashes when I open movie files.

Firefox is the way to go. firefox3 is amazing, except it only crashes when I open movie files.
I get Firefox updates automatically, but right now I have 2.0.0.15. Do you have to go to Mozilla and download Firefox 3?

I get Firefox updates automatically, but right now I have 2.0.0.15. Do you have to go to Mozilla and download Firefox 3?
Think so. I get it updated automatically too. But just realize firefox 3 is out there when I visited Mozilla website for some firefox add-on pass few weeks.

I think you might have to. Mine just came standard when I upgraded Ubuntu a few weeks ago.

Torben

i was running it a while back just to be different and i must say it really is slow. compared to firefox. plus there are no add ons for it

I've tried safari and didn't think much of it. Then again I didn't look into it much. So I would say if you don't have a good reason for wanting to try it, you might not notice anything special about it. Opera is also faster than Firefox but I use Firefox for its addons and its support.

If you have FF2.x, and click on your update link, it will prompt you to download ff3, and redirect, I done so recently.
FF3 is about 7MB download, mozilla claims quite a few improvements, so get it.

I do get an irritating nack(habbit that freeks you out) with it, sometimes when you have a lot of tabs open, it just jumps off your Pc, and kills itself. Rather irritating, especially if you are researching something and don't want to be interrupted.
I hate that, otherwise it's decent. I would say better than IE.
I also use thunderbird for e-mail, like the way you have your identities laid out vs. outlook/express.
If you are thinking of using incredi-mail, think again, it sucks and non-power users love it. Yuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back