Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Apple and Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still on a 4s and expect shorter Battery life when I get the 5. We finally have a true 4g network and it's expanding. I know when I turn off location services on my current phone I do better.

With it location services on and all APs closed I get about 24hrs on a charge. Off is about 36hrs.

I'm not a big user either like most younger people. I may use about 4 gig of storage and hardly anything on data. It sure is nice when you need it though. So, far I've used Voice Maps or Siri and found it

satisfactory. It got me where I needed to go. I'm sure it won't alway's be the case. Apple was in a hurry to push it out, Steve Jobs death and other circumstances played a role in the overall poor decision.

I don't know if we will ever get the hole story or not. Seems both are throwing stones at each other, blaming each other is good news for them and good news means more adverts and more money.

kv

Last edited:
I guess either your car costs less than £500 or it doesn't have an on-board computer.
John

My car has a carburetor and distributor + points, and I am glad for it being that way! Also a public app marketplace and safety critical firmware (car computers) are a different ballgame.

I may be going off at a tangent here but, aside from safety-critical systems such as ABS, SRS and other derivatives which do provide occupant protection, almost anything else added to a vehicle is just a sales gimmick in order to push units to the masses who like shiny stuff.

Most drivers don't need heated/air-conditioned seats, heated steering wheels, Bluetooth/WiFi connections to their latest "Mine's better than yours phone!" in order to stream music or provide the capability of accepting/making distracting telephone calls. "Hands-free" doesn't cut it either, it's almost as bad as being DUI.

The more there is added to a vehicle, the more there is to fiddle with and this is commonly done when the most attention is required......whilst actually driving.

Look around you whilst stopped at a traffic light. How many other drivers are properly paying attention to crossing traffic and getting ready for the light to change to go, versus messing with their phone, stereo, or other inbuilt vehicular distraction?

Driving no longer has the same meaning as it used to have.

People, these days, want to sit in their comfy "armchair" car seat, with all the home comforts and simply end up at their destination without distraction from anything else.

Rich's car may be less friendly to the environment with regards to exhaust emissions, but I'm pretty sure it has more chance of surviving a trip due to a lack of distracting "toys" and a more alert driver.

My thoughts and I'm sure there may be more to come.

@Mickster,

Yes, the point that we are no longer drivers, but operators is true. In a few years, we may just be observers.

That wasn't my point, however. But so as to not take this thead too off topic, I won't go further into it here.

John

Understood John,

Thankyou.

EDIT:
BTW, I only used the quotes as an angle to put forth my concerns, not to pick apart any points, hence the "I may be going off....

However, there is so much going wrong in the automotive industry these days with regard to insufficient manufacturer testing, firmware & updates, compatability issues and reliability concerns that maybe another thread could be justified...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back