Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Apple I-Phone and Foxcomm (Shenzhen - South China)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boncuk

Besides Apple Dell and Nokia products are manufactured at FoxComm, employing more than 300,000 workers.

Within four months 9 workers have committed suicuide at FoxComm, the latest having been caused by the accusement of having stolen an I-Phone.

I know from business contacts in China, that factory workers have to live within the boundaries of the factury accomodated in dormatories of 60 to 100 persons - just enough room for a locker and and a bed - meaning to me they are being treated like slaves.

They have to apply for permission to leave the factory facilities to go shopping or visit friends.

Apple is now investigating the reason of the high suicide rate with Dell and Nokia to follow.

If they find engraving management failures FoxComm will be out of business soon.

Remember: It's not the high speed which kills. It's the sudden stop. :D

Boncuk

Last edited:
To my fellow chinese cousins: take a break sometime. The chinese always amplifies their worries about life. Like failing an exam and so on.

This can't be quite the reason for so many suicides - attempted suicuides not counted.

There must be a reason why so many people of one manufacturer prefer to die instead living!

I hope the reason will be found soon and FoxComm's gates close forever.

Boncuk

Its interesting how big companies like Apple and Dell employ these (pretty much) slave-factories to make their crap. Then when problems come into the news, they act all disappointed and start 'investigating'.

Its interesting how big companies like Apple and Dell employ these (pretty much) slave-factories to make their crap. Then when problems come into the news, they act all disappointed and start 'investigating'.

Perhaps they should investigate the slave labour camps within the USA?, who exist under far more brutal conditions.

Perhaps they should investigate the slave labour camps within the USA?, who exist under far more brutal conditions.

Gee, care to enlighten us on these slave labor camps? I am not aware of any, as we have laws preventing such a thing to legally exist.

Gee, care to enlighten us on these slave labor camps? I am not aware of any, as we have laws preventing such a thing to legally exist.

They are called American prisons - where inmates are forced to work as slave labour for peanuts. It's enlightning if you look it up how much is manufactured in this way.

The so called 'land of the free' is the most oppressive country in the world, with by far the highest prison population.

They are called American prisons - where inmates are forced to work as slave labour for peanuts. It's enlightning if you look it up how much is manufactured in this way.

The so called 'land of the free' is the most oppressive country in the world, with by far the highest prison population.

Just to clarify things here, American prisoners are not coerced, forced, or made to work. It is done on a voluntary basis. It is a way to alleviate the drudgery and boredom that accompanies prison life. Most prisoners want and choose to work. Not only that, prisoners are allowed to attend college level courses. Slavery, brutal treatment? No, just media nonsense. My source of info? My brother in law, he is a California Correction officer at Vacaville State prison.

Why are our prisons full? With a population of 300 million as opposed to UK 61 million, we have a good population of poor and I am sure poverty is a factor in this. Our main prison population seems to be drug offenders, so perhaps our drug laws need to be revisited. Really not sure why our prison pop is so high but I can tell you this; I do not feel oppressed.

Just to clarify things here, American prisoners are not coerced, forced, or made to work. It is done on a voluntary basis. It is a way to alleviate the drudgery and boredom that accompanies prison life. Most prisoners want and choose to work. Not only that, prisoners are allowed to attend college level courses. Slavery, brutal treatment? No, just media nonsense. My source of info? My brother in law, he is a California Correction officer at Vacaville State prison.

According to TV and newspaper reports the options are solitary confinement, or working essentially as slave labour.

Personally I agree they should have the right to do some work, it would pass the time - we could do with some of it here.

Incidently a friend of mine (Ju Jitsu student) is a prison guard over here, in a fairly severe prison.

Why are our prisons full? With a population of 300 million as opposed to UK 61 million, we have a good population of poor and I am sure poverty is a factor in this. Our main prison population seems to be drug offenders, so perhaps our drug laws need to be revisited. Really not sure why our prison pop is so high but I can tell you this; I do not feel oppressed.

Numbers make no difference, China has a far higher population than the USA, yet a far lower prison population - it's percentages that matter, and the USA has the highest percentage of it's population locked up of any country in the world.

One of the reasons for your high prision population is the 'three strikes and you're out' rule, where people are in jail for life (until they die, not 25 years) for minor offences, one for stealing a VHS tape.

Last edited:
One of the reasons for your high prision population is the 'three strikes and you're out' rule, where people are in jail or life (until they die, not 25 years) for minor offences, one for stealing a VHS tape.

I don't have words for that. :(

Someone watches too many old movies. American slave labor camps is baloney.

I beg to differ :D

Quite possibly, if the Oakhill Correctional Institute in Dane County, Wisconsin serves as a model. Seventeen inmates crowded in a makeshift basement factory in that facility crank out over a million dollars' worth of office chairs per year, in exchange for wages ranging from twenty cents to $1.50 per hour.

Clipped from:

That's a HUGE amount of manufacturing done in American prisons, the list is staggering.

The US economy is $15 Trillion. I'm not feeling staggered. It used to be called, "paying your debt to society"

The US economy is $15 Trillion. I'm not feeling staggered. It used to be called, "paying your debt to society"

Interesting idea - steal a VHS tape and spend the rest of your days as slave labour in prison :p

But the point was Americans complaining about poor working conditions elsewhere - while using slave labour themselves.

It's called prison, not a vacation getaway. Most people in prison have committed serious crimes. Work and being responsible are probably good things, and have significant bearing on the prisoner's lives, just as in real life. Work conditions are probaby better in US prisons than offshore facilities. Prisoners can choose to work or not.

Just an example:

I was stationed at Mather AFB, Sacramento (California) 1968 to 1970.

There I made the acqaintance of the supervisor of education (Mr. Donald Moore) of the well known Folsom prison (Johnny Cash: "Stuck in Folsom prison") and we became close friends.

His main concern was to give education to inmates who never had the chance to learn an appropriate profession to make honest money.

I was invited for a tour through the prison and didn't have the impression that any of the inmates was treated like a slave.

There were workshops from carpenter through machine design and even electronic courses equipped with measuring devices and machines a hobbyist dreams his life long of.

There were also car accessory parts manufactered at Folsom prison and I guess the worker received good paypment for good work. (US$15 per working hour was not bad for that time, giving many of the inmates a good start after having been released.)

I didn't see any person glueing paper bags at Folsom Prison. :)

Boncuk

There were also car accessory parts manufactered at Folsom prison and I guess the worker received good paypment for good work. (US$15 per working hour was not bad for that time, giving many of the inmates a good start after having been released.)

That was pretty good pay then (and not too shabby now!) - but I suggest you read the link I posted above, where they talk about only cents per hour these days.

Boncuks assessment sounds fairly correct with exception to the pay, which is under $1.00 per hour, but considering the tax burden they impose, that seems reasonable. Nigel, your link seems biased and rather questionable. Have you ever been to the USA? Perhaps you might make a visit here before you make claims that we are oppressed. Heck, come to San Diego and I will take ya Para sailing and do some snorkeling with you, and then we can go have a few pints :)

Like any country, we have jerks and morons, but as a whole, I would say were good people, come see for yourself...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back