Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WV Farmer could use a little help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, here's yet another idea; cheap and easy if you must reverse the direction of the motor for up and down. A single DPDT toggle switch performs the reversing and limit function. The SCR is triggered by the timer switch closing, thus latching and supplying power to the motor. When the door reaches either limit, current to the motor is interrupted briefly as the toggle switch changes position, so the SCR turns off. The toggle switch is set to reverse the motor direction when the SCR is triggered again.

Attachments

• Chicken.png
    77 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:
Well done mr Bugman, dont forget to reward your neighbour with a dozen eggs.
I used to do jobs for my wife so I could get rewarded with her excellent cooking, then I decided to married her.

This "chicken coop" problem comes up from time to time. The difficulties are the high current motor AND the low stand-by power consumption.

The next issue is whether a photocell, astronomic timer, or timer is appropriate,

Next is whether motor coasting is an issue.

A manual reversing switch can be made with a DPDT switch with the end pins crossed.
1 2 3
4 5 6

e.g. 1,6 and 4 to 3. Power or motor to center pins and motor or power to end pins.

That could be a DPDT relay as well.

OK, so let's add limits. So what we do is add two microswitches in series with the motor that open at the extreme. OK, but when they get to the end, they can't get back. A diode placed across the open switch at the ends will allow the ability to reverse.

So, the problem this has is the relay consumes significant current in one direction.

So, more education: There are at least two methods of control: direction only and a NOT enable, direction. Some system implement open close, coast and brake. Info really isn't that important.

Now, there are devices called a dual coil magnetic latching relay. It has two coils and operates on pulses.

There is also a device called an impulse relay. On each pulse it changes state,

So, when the coop reaches the end it has t do doo things:
1. reverse the drirection
2. urn the power off.

In any event, the necessity of the relay needing power complicates things, The timer complicates things. Basically quiescent current.

So, how about two timers. One that controls the 12 V power to the logic/motor and another that controls the door direction?
Just have them synchonized so that the power is applied to the door 10 min before used and 10 min after, so the system is wasting power for about 10 minutes.

Here is an interesting design: https://jansson.us/ChickenDoor.html

It uses momentary contacts and a remote control, but their isn't a power hungry issue.

If it's not too far from the house, may be use an automation controller to generate the pulses to a remote. So, it requires pulses to operate.

Good Morning, Everyone- I have to put my project on hold for a bit. My "Mom" has injured her knee and my plate is past full. Slowly but surely, I'm gaining. You all have a fascinating "art" and I am inspired to prevail.
A little irony- It's been so pleasant out hear in the mountains that my chickens haven't wanted to sleep in the coop- I've had to put them to bed three times this week.
Maybe I need a "gizmo" to read them a bedtime story and tuck them in...

This "chicken coop" problem comes up from time to time. The difficulties are the high current motor AND the low stand-by power consumption.

The next issue is whether a photocell, astronomic timer, or timer is appropriate,

A manual reversing switch can be made with a DPDT switch with the end pins crossed.
1 2 3
4 5 6

e.g. 1,6 and 4 to 3. Power or motor to center pins and motor or power to end pins.

OK, so let's add limits. So what we do is add two microswitches in series with the motor that open at the extreme. OK, but when they get to the end, they can't get back. A diode placed across the open switch at the ends will allow the ability to reverse.

So, the problem this has is the relay consumes significant current in one direction.

So, more education: There are at least two methods of control: direction only and a NOT enable, direction. Some system implement open close, coast and brake. Info really isn't that important.

Now, there are devices called a dual coil magnetic latching relay. It has two coils and operates on pulses.

2. urn the power off.

In any event, the necessity of the relay needing power complicates things, The timer complicates things. Basically quiescent current.

So, how about two timers. One that controls the 12 V power to the logic/motor and another that controls the door direction?
Just have them synchonized so that the power is applied to the door 10 min before used and 10 min after, so the system is wasting power for about 10 minutes.
I'm reading & re-reading this. The 2 timer solution is in the running. Thank-you.

I apologise for not reading all the previous posts, but going on the requirement for a motor controller that reverses the motor each time the timer activates, while heeding limit switches, the attached circuit should work. It's simply some logic to toggle between forward and reverse whenever the timer closes the contacts. The limit switches disable the motor when it hits the end of travel. Hope this meets your requirements.

Attachments

• chicken coop controller.jpg
    chicken coop controller.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 314
Thank-You, Dougy83. I'm searching for someone here to "decode" the notations. God as my Witness, I had no idea that this would be so complicated. What an education! I must re-state a previous thought- You all have a talent (if not an art) that is truly fascinating. I am inspired (and, bewildered).

1 2 3
4 5 6

2. urn the power off.

Your username sums things up nicely. I'm investigating your thoughts (and, I believe I understand) and the recommended devices. Thank-You-

Thank-You, Dougy83. I'm searching for someone here to "decode" the notations. God as my Witness, I had no idea that this would be so complicated. What an education! I must re-state a previous thought- You all have a talent (if not an art) that is truly fascinating. I am inspired (and, bewildered).
Oh, you mean the schematic is too cryptic? If you're happy with the function that I outlined, I'd be happy to redraw it showing how to physically wire it up.

Oh, you mean the schematic is too cryptic? If you're happy with the function that I outlined, I'd be happy to redraw it showing how to physically wire it up.
Things have been "interesting" around the farm lately- So, I'm sorry I didn't respond more quickly. Yes, from what I understood of your drawing, I believe your idea is "on the money". I will provide you with the components I have (and, can discard if they're incorrect- I'll use them for something else) and get what I need.
Thank-You, dougy83. I really appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back