Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Worldwide lighting made 20% more efficienct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no, bauxite shortage panic! We'll have to start recycling aluminium or something drastic like that!

The UK have been recycling aluminium for at least the last 20 years.:rolleyes:, its 40% more cost efficient than converting Bauxite to aluminium.

Bauxite is the most common mineral in the Earth's crust.

You obviously didn't have your sarcasm radar switched on yet, Eric...

Aside from the fact that Aluminium is one of the most commonly recycled metals...

Wikipedia said:
Although aluminium demand is rapidly increasing, known reserves of its bauxite ore are sufficient to meet the worldwide demands for aluminium for many centuries.

Aluminum is a great element and is quite useful in chemistry too. I am just waiting for some researcher in Californian to determine that aluminum causes cancer, birth defects, or neurological harm.

Then everything will be labeled, "WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive and neurological harm." That should about cover everything. ;)

Aluminum is not non-toxic (**broken link removed** although, its classification as a toxic metal is apparently debated. Seriously, I do try to avoid cooking in aluminum pots, particularly if the food is acidic like tomatoes.

John

Aluminum is a fairly reactive element, which greatly implies free radicals. And free radicals are presumed to be one of the main causes of things like cancer and ageing and so on. That being said, everything is a "chemical", and pretty much all chemicals go through an intermediate state where they exist as a free radical. So, from this distortion of common sense it really could be logically concluded that everything does actually cause cancer, and you should stay away from it all.

My personal favorite is that the sun causes cancer, that has always helped me get out of doing yard work on hot days :D

i think you have it on the 800W bulb case.

Try about 40 times lower than that. :eek:

The average large area LED light is around 35 - 55 lumens per watt with the best putting out 70 lumens per watt whereas any induction bulb above 20 watts tends to run between 65 and 85 lumens per watt.

Plus induction lights don't need heat sinks either.

Seems like you are grasping at any straw you can find to defend your isotera system and not gaining a single supporter or supporting fact for it. :(

Aluminum is a fairly reactive element, which greatly implies free radicals. And free radicals are presumed to be one of the main causes of things like cancer and ageing and so on. That being said, everything is a "chemical", and pretty much all chemicals go through an intermediate state where they exist as a free radical. So, from this distortion of common sense it really could be logically concluded that everything does actually cause cancer, and you should stay away from it all.

My personal favorite is that the sun causes cancer, that has always helped me get out of doing yard work on hot days

Its also been found that being alive eventually causes death. No present exceptions have ever been found. :p

Seems like you are grasping at any straw you can find to defend your isotera system and not gaining a single supporter or supporting fact for it.

Isotera will win through.
It is the only lighting system in the world that needs no contactor.
The power hubs come in 200W & 500W sizes.....this means that the technology of isotera's contactless technology can be used in other applications besides lighting, eg, battery charging or motor driving.

What about when youve gotta plug in your electric car when you get home.....Do you really want to use a plug and socket thats rated for 48V and 10 Amps?....thats some size plug and socket, -or would you rather just have a contactless slider that you hook over your charging wire and job done.?

.....i'd like to see anyone suddenly unplug a connector thats carrying 10 Amps.....BANG!

42V automobile bus failed because above about 28V, switchs and connectors start needing to be seriously expensive if contactor sparking and corrosion is to be avoided....so youll need your isotera icoupler to couple the energy to your flat battery.................effortlessly fitted, -no huge great plugs needed which small women will have difficulty yanking out of the wall socket.....single handed because you have to use the other hand to hold open the contactor lock.

And also, your car is going to be charged outside on the drive.................what if your neighbour sneaks over the fence in the night and connects a three way "T" to your plug, and charges *his* car from your electricity?.......well with an isotera contactless connector, it can be "coded" such that the coupelr only couples energy to your car....and not to anyone elses.

And what happens when the Army want to set up a command post out in the wet and wild forrest, using their petrol generator?.......well thats ok with isotera because you just keep the light in a waterproof case, and then connect via contactless technology to the iBus........pour as much water over the contactor as you like, and it wont short....why?...because there is NO CONTACTOR.

It is the only lighting system in the world that needs no contactor.

What is that thing that the lamp attaches to? Looks like a connector?

.....i'd like to see anyone suddenly unplug a connector thats carrying 10 Amps.....BANG!

42V automobile bus failed because above about 28V, switchs and connectors start needing to be seriously expensive if contactor sparking and corrosion is to be avoided....so youll need your isotera icoupler to couple the energy to your flat battery.................effortlessly fitted, -no huge great plugs needed which small women will have difficulty yanking out of the wall socket.....single handed because you have to use the other hand to hold open the contactor lock.

My golf cart is 48 volts at 15 amps and my wife at 5' 2" & 100 pounds has no trouble with the 3 wire plug.

What is that thing that the lamp attaches to? Looks like a connector?
....yes but theres no need to disconnect that if you want to take the luminaire away and attach it somewhere else.....the connector that you speak of just connects once and thats that.....you never have to hot plug that.

Yes but your golf cart is at the golf club, and they can stop theives from tapping into the power supply there....at your home, you wont find it so easy to stop some guy whose run out of gas from quickly connecting to yours at 3am and topping his battery up.

Even if your wife can do it, it doesnt mean its a cheap connector....it'll be a very expensive connector

42V automobile bus failed because above about 28V, switches and connectors start needing to be seriously expensive if contactor sparking and corrosion is to be avoided

Your excuse due to switches and contactors not working or being expensive over 28 VDC is a lame and uneducated excuse. As I have said before I work around industrial electrical equipment fairly often and I see contactors handling up to 300 VDC at 60+ amps that run for years doing hundreds of make and break cycles a day at those load levels before needing to be overhauled.

The reason the 42 volt proposal never caught on is because the world automotive equipment and all the accessories that we use are standardized to 12 volt electrical systems and any device that can run on 42 volts in an automotive application is also capable of running off of 12 volts. It just need 3 times the current to do it which engineering wise is not a big deal to overcome. That and to be honest the modern hybrids jumped up to far higher voltages for their dedicated power handling systems which happen to run in the hundreds of volts DC now.

Read it for yourself. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42-volt_electrical_system

The Tesla cars run around 375 VDC and the prius hybrids are running around 220 VDC on their systems.

Now related to the electric car excuse I had a normal sized electric car some years ago that ran on a 96 volt system that used a large contactor for the main power connection that carried up to 400 amps at 96 VDC and had no problems doing it either. Retail was around $150 for it if I had to ever replace it. No big deal.

BTW do the math on charging a electric vehicle on a 48 volt 10 amp source. Mine used a built in charger that used 240 VAC 30 amps input to charge the batteries at 50 - 60 amps at a charging voltage of around 115 VDC and that still took 8 - 10 hours for a recharge if the batteries were low enough. at 48 VDC that would have taken nearly a week. :(

Even with a common golf cart at 48 VDC 10 amps it would take a very long day to recharge. :(

As far as isotera winning I don't even see them being in the game really. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
As far as isotera winning I don't even see them being in the game really

OK, imagine youre down a mineshaft, surrounded by explosive (coal) dust, and the mine has been extended a bit further due to more digging.......and you want to disconect some lamps and put them in the new tunnel thats just been dug..............with isotera, you just go to a luminaire, an unclip it, and walk it over to the new space that needs light, and clip it on....no explosion...thats isotera for you.......no contactors, no contact sparking...safe..........i"Soter"A...'Soter' is the Greek God of safety.

Also , imagine you own an Art gallery , full of paintings, every day, the number and position of the paintings change, and you need a light above every painting.......are you every day going to hire an electrician to come and rewire the mains lighting so you can have the lights in a different place?........Or alternatively , are you seriosly thinking of 24VDC track lighting, and having all that pesky tracking all over the place?

Ditto the above for museums, where lighting for exhibits constantly needs moving..........requiring an electrician...unless you use isotera...then anyone can move the lighting...the cleaner can do it...............in isotera you can move the light anywhere the iBus goes, and you can easily move the iBus......also, there is a wire from the icoupler to the lamp, and you can, if you wish, change the length of that to get even more movement flexibility.....and that is safe voltage , max 40V on the 200W isotera system........others have 80V max or more, as you the customer wish.

Also, what about lighting in a shop where new merchandise comes in........you put the merchandise down and theres no light near it, its a patterned clothing item and it needs a light right over it, yes, there you go you non isotera users, get and call your electricians to re-wire your mains lighting....get and pay them loads of your hard earned bucks.......alternatively , just use isotera, and move the lights effortlessly yourself...........who needs an electrician?

Track lighting systems require the track to be right where you need the light, and that can be a lot of tracking.

Lights in a home is pretty fixed...but in business and retail etc, the need to move lights is real....here comes isotera......to a store near you.....enjoy!

Last edited:
The mining industry already has the tech for doing such work and has their own standards. Here are their online manuals relating to the hows and why of what they use in mine lighting systems.

Background and history. https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2013/08/ic9073-1.pdf 50 pages.

Practical application. https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2013/08/ic9074-1.pdf 95 pages.

Either You're grasping at straws here or you assume that everyone else in the world has less lighting and electrical knowledge/experience and search engine usage skills than you. :rolleyes:

As far as stores go? WTF? What dismally lit places do you shop at? Where I shop has industry standards for lighting that covers every square inch of the store sales areas.

In fact the government has industry standards for how much light any public or commercial place has to have.

**broken link removed**

page 7 (no 2) of your mines book lists the danger of explosions.

Most places suffer with overexpensive lighting from some contractor who charges too much, but nobody cares because the company is paying.....when the owners of mines find out about isotera, theyll be onto it

Either You're grasping at straws here or you assume that everyone else in the world has less lighting and electrical knowledge/experience and search engine usage skills than you

The trouble is, that the people who specify lighting systems dont tend to have to pay for it, so they just get in whatever they see first, or buy from a friends company etc etc.................its taking time for company owners to get into isotera but they will soon enough

the OP has unflinching faith in the product, and no amount of evidence or arguments will sway his opinion. I won't even attempt it..

So, I say to him, Godspeed and the best of luck with your product. After all, it is not my money at stake.

June 24th 2013
Cambridge-based lighting network company Isotera has closed a £1.6m second funding round to advance its business from product launch to volume sales. Isotera’s intelligent LED lighting system revolutionises the way in which ultra-efficient lighting systems are installed, lowering Capital expenditure as well as Operating expenditure thus accelerating the adoption of LED lighting and automated lighting controls. The system’s architecture is ideally suited for low cost communication purposes throughout buildings, allowing the expansion of its functionality beyond lighting.

It would appear from their own press releases around 10 days ago they haven't even made it into the realm of reasonable volume sales let alone industrial application standards or specs certification. :rolleyes:

I think I am done with this nonsense. They are not and will not be taking over the world lighting markets for private, public, or industrial /commercial lighting anytime soon.:eek:

the OP has unflinching faith in the product, and no amount of evidence or arguments will sway his opinion. I won't even attempt it..

Yes I see that and every shred of evidence for the company I can find seems to show that not only are they not setting the new industry standards as some high powered corporate lighting systems giant they have barely made it out of the nest let alone grown their big bird feathers and started to fly. :p

I put my money on them never making it past the first 5 years of life before going under or being bought out by a well established lighting corporation and then never being seen from again. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back