Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wiring Diagram for motor control with limit switches and pushbutton

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFR

Hi, my name is Jordan and I'm new to this forum.

I've done some searching for my needs and haven't found a complete solution.

I'm currently working on a project right now and I'm almost done with the welding and construction, so I'm getting close to the electronics aspect. If you're curious, it's a fish tank, but it's a little more complicated than that. At the base, I've designed a retractable sliding door. It's composed of 4 door scales, essentially just 4 steel rectangles that recess beneath one another when it opens. Anyways, what I want to do is have a pushbutton (spdt- on/off, i think is what i need?) on the front, which when pressed, retracts the door until its fully open, then stop- using a limit switch (spdt, lever switch?). I want to be able to press the same button to close the door and then stop, again using a limit switch (spdt, lever switch?).

I have all the mechanical aspects worked out, and I have an idea of how it should be wired, but as I'm no EE, I figured I would ask some more knowledgeable people.

I'm sure this isn't a very complicated circuit, maybe only a little because I'd like to use just one button to open and close the device.

The motor is 12vdc, and I think I'm just going to use batteries for the power source because it's not going to be used all the time. The lighting for the tank will use LEDs from a 6v wall adapter- this I already have figured out.

I know that I'll need to get a relay, maybe some diodes for current direction with the limit switches? Please let me know if you have an idea of how this circuit shall be constructed. I appreciate your time in reading this and helping me.

Thanks,
Jordan

In your diagram, are the upside down triangles grounds?

Also, should I just use SPST switches for my limits? I assume I would because there are only two connections in your diagram. Unless the faint dotted lines from the limits to the motor are wires? If they are, which wire is connected to which part of the motor for the limit switches?

Thanks MikeMl

The upside down triangles are ground connections. N.C. SPST switches will work for the limit switches. So will SPDT switches, just leave the other terminal open. The dotted lines signify that the motor trips the limit switches... (ie a mechanical connection).

btw- this is circuit is used to raise/lower the outdrive in my boat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back