Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wireless fishing alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomaspav

hello everyone from Greece. I have a simple circuit for a fishing alarm. Basically i use a tilt switch for sensor, two leds and one buzzer. Its a simple circuit with low cost materials. I would like to go it to the next step. I will make 6 of this circuits for my fishing rods. Here is my question. How can i make a simple rf system to have receiver for each rod ? I need about 200meter distance. Also i would like to have separate signal for each transmitter to recognise witch rod has a bite. I post a video of an example https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000341609254.html

Hi, thank you very much for your reply. So can I get the data from the circuit on an esp8266 and then transfer it wirelessly to another esp8266 that will be the 'receiver'? Will the broadcast be via wifi? what do you think about the distance? I need about 150-200 meters max.

Above cover distance.

Hi, thank you very much for your reply. So can I get the data from the circuit on an esp8266 and then transfer it wirelessly to another esp8266 that will be the 'receiver'?

Many more on web....

Regards, Dana.

The range is incredible. Let me tell you what I understand. I will have an esp8266 in each alarm circuit. All these esp8266 will send data to a central esp which will have the role of receiver. Then the receiver, depending on which esp received the signal, will turn on, for example, a light. Have I understood correctly so far?

I dont have words for you, thank you very much for your time. I will buy two esp to start practising. Is it if i send you a direct message for more details when i start the project?

Post on the forum as there is broad levels of experience here that will
benefit you. My schedule does not always permit me to respond on demand.

When you buy the module be aware of :

1) There are two widths, one which will fit in a proto board, one that wont.
2) Get them with pins soldered.
3) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESP8266 for more info
4) Newer more capable flexible part is ESP32, look at the differences to see if thats
more applicable. I use both still though.
5) There is a dev type board also to have that is useful in your lab :
I just randomly picked this seller on ebay as example.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
One additional comment, the GPIO mapping, ones user can use versus ones that
are boot controlled and CPU dedicated, can be confusing. So just be aware and use
web as community has been thru a lot of confusion on this.

Example a GPIO1 in ESP8266 maps to a different pin number in Arduino.....Generally you
use the Arduino IDE to do the development, or Tuniot. When you pick/spec board you
are using in Arduino there is a header file for that board that shows the mapping. Its also
on web in various forms.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
Hello Dana. Thanks for you reply. Here is question. What should I do with the battery supply ? I read that the input voltage is 3.3v. Should I use a 18650 battery with voltage regulator ? What do you think about the duration time of esp? I need need at least 60hours or more. Also I read about something it’s called deep sleep. The actual job for esp is to send a signal to the receiver when the circuit is close. so can I turn off the WiFi and open it when the alarm is on??

Deep sleep great way to go. Lots of web, Youtube projects showing how to
do it. I would settle on 18650 as its such a standard battery WW now.

Maybe a buck/boost will get best results, longest lifetime.

Regards, Dana.

Have you ever heard about the espnow? You can create a mesh Network also but the transition is with Bluetooth instead of WiFi and users say that is more friendly with the power supply. As I see the esp32 have a Bluetooth transmitter on it.

I read that article and they say up to 300m. I think it’s based on Bluetooth. Correct if I was wrong that’s a new part of technology for me
It doesn't seem to make any suggestion it's based on Bluetooth?, and as far as I'm aware it's based on WiFi - just not needing a separate WiFi network to connect through, they connect to each other instead.

I think the fact that the article uses the term "pairing" causes confusion as this is a term used by BlueTooth devices.
They do state,
"ESP-NOW can be used for device provisioning, along with Wi-Fi provisioning and Bluetooth provisioning. The first device needs to be provisioned via Bluetooth."
I've no idea what "provisioning" means.

Mike.

Bluetooth-devices-transmeter-classes.jpg-.jpg

You of course have the problem of a fishing contest, multiple networks in close association.
Eg. the need for hard wired IP approach versus auto generated. Not sure how this impacts
BLE w/o a lot of user intervention.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replying :) I'm just try to figure out a way for a way to keep the battery alive as much i can. Some users say that the wifi mode is drying the battery really fast. As i see here i can use the modem-sleep. I need to make some. Im posting also a video from the first circuit i have create for the tests.
sleep-1-e1530073901697.jpg

Thanks for your replying :) I'm just try to figure out a way for a way to keep the battery alive as much i can. Some users say that the wifi mode is drying the battery really fast. As i see here i can use the modem-sleep. I need to make some. Im posting also a video from the first circuit i have create for the tests.
sleep-1-e1530073901697.jpg

Anything transmitting over a distance is going to suck power - hence the use of sleep, and shutting down the transmitter (and everything else) totally when it's not in use.

You just need an interrupt signal that triggers the ESP (or whatever) to wake up, check to ensure it's a valid detection, and then fire up the transmitter - send the data, then go back to sleep.

You need to be aware that if you're using modules, watch out for ones with permanently powered devices on-board, such as the USB programming interface.

Anything transmitting over a distance is going to suck power - hence the use of sleep, and shutting down the transmitter (and everything else) totally when it's not in use.

You just need an interrupt signal that triggers the ESP (or whatever) to wake up, check to ensure it's a valid detection, and then fire up the transmitter - send the data, then go back to sleep.

You need to be aware that if you're using modules, watch out for ones with permanently powered devices on-board, such as the USB programming interface.
hello. Im thinking to get the signal from the circuit. i use a tilt sensor so when the circuit is close a signal will send to the esp8266 (at the wake up pin). I will use only esp8266 for this project. six will be the transmitter and one will be the reciever. Also the reciever will be always open with a power supply of a powerbank maybe with a volt regulator. I need to have a small battery for the transmitters though bacause of the weight. Im not familiar with that technologies so thanks in advance for any information. Im trying to do this https://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp-now-many-to-one-esp8266-nodemcu/ . How it looks to you??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back