Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless charging receiver that works through metal [Aluminum/Stainless Steel]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcbrown

Hi... I'm need to put a wireless charging receiver into a old device... the problem is that the device is made complete of metal, and as far as i know wireless charging doesn't work through metal. I don't have knowledge of wireless charging so if exist a typed of [Wireless charging board/Module] that works through metal [aluminum/Stainless Steel] I would like to know and if it not how i can make it work through metal... of course without take the metal away. Thanks :]

Effective method is to cable wireless antenna out thru a hole in panel. But there
are issues with antennae design especially if close, in nearfield of structure.

Regards, Dana.

Effective method is to cable wireless antenna out thru a hole in panel. But there
are issues with antennae design especially if close, in nearfield of structure.

Regards, Dana.
Yeah... that's a good idea, but make a hole through the metal is kinda painful because I don't want to modify the panel or worse damage it and as you said there are still issues but I'll keep it in mind.

If it has a metal case then it was probably never intended to be charged wirelessly and hasn't got the necessary circuitry.

Mike.
That's the thing man... Is a own project to try to put a wireless charging into a device with metal body. I put successfully wireless charging on other devices of course without metal body and devices that wasn't originally made for support this typed of charging... A couple of years ago I was navigated on internet and I found a page that a company made a typed of wireless charging that works through metal... I'm not sure about the company but the technology was called (Magnetic Resonance) is a typed of wireless charging, I don't know how it works but for sure doesn't work through electromagnetic induction as present wireless charger, and yep I'm not expert with such technology. Casually I found on internet, module that you can put it in almost everything (except metal things) and yeah you can have almost everything to charge wireless so that's what i did, but I got stuck doing it with metal devices... I'm sorry for this whole paragraph...
Wireless ch module.png

I used this one for my past projects.

It may be using a pair of "E" or "U" cores or pot core style ferrite / powdered iron cores with a coil in each, so in effect there are two large electromagnet poles against the metal at each side, with the windings on those spaced away from the metal to minimise energy loss.

In other words, energy would be passed via a magnetic field directly through the metal and with minimal electromagnetic induction effects in the plane of the metal.

As long as the metal is quite thin in relation to the size of the core polepieces, fairly good magnetic coupling could probably be achieved.

I can't think of any way of making it work through a metal panel other than lots of ferrous material to guide the magnetic field.

[Other than cheat? Use a panel of plastic that has a metallic looking finish....]

These are something like the style of core I was thinking of, one at each side with the coil in the back half of each; I can't say as a fact they would work, but I believe a setup something like that would give the least energy loss and heating of the metal panel.

082e6d835c041644cbd74b83374bba28.png

e75-3e2a.jpg

That would be like trying to charge half a capacitor with only one electrode in a Faraday Cage.

It may be using a pair of "E" or "U" cores or pot core style ferrite / powdered iron cores with a coil in each, so in effect there are two large electromagnet poles against the metal at each side, with the windings on those spaced away from the metal to minimise energy loss.

In other words, energy would be passed via a magnetic field directly through the metal and with minimal electromagnetic induction effects in the plane of the metal.

As long as the metal is quite thin in relation to the size of the core polepieces, fairly good magnetic coupling could probably be achieved.

I can't think of any way of making it work through a metal panel other than lots of ferrous material to guide the magnetic field.

[Other than cheat? Use a panel of plastic that has a metallic looking finish....]

These are something like the style of core I was thinking of, one at each side with the coil in the back half of each; I can't say as a fact they would work, but I believe a setup something like that would give the least energy loss and heating of the metal panel.

082e6d835c041644cbd74b83374bba28.png

e75-3e2a.jpg
The method can be used only for big devices right? the device that I try to make it work is 0.59 inch of thickness and I think is not enough thick to try... I'll make some research for this method. Thanks

Yeah cheat is one of my last options...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back