Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless Communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

bacterozoid

I'm looking into using wireless communication for a project I'm working on, but I'm not sure where to start. I need to transmit small amounts of data from one device to another (back and forth) and that's really it. It's basically just a couple integers.

I'm familiar with your basic networking protocols but I'm honestly not sure what level to work on. Can I just buy a chip that I send my values that creates the ICMP packets and sends them off? I've looked online for some tutorials but I don't think I really know what I'm searching for so it's difficult.

Edit: This device doesn't need to connect to an existing wireless network - just needs to connect to another device and have a decent range.

Thanks!

So can I use something like this ZigBee to communicate between two devices?

**broken link removed**

Or do I need something more substantial like this Wi-Fi module:

**broken link removed**

Or you could try the TI site and look for CC1111, unfortunately they are popular and there seems to be a 20 week wait at the moment.

Any other suggestions? If not, I think what has been posted puts me at least in the right direction and might even work for me. Thanks for the help!

bacterozoid said:
Any other suggestions? If not, I think what has been posted puts me at least in the right direction and might even work for me. Thanks for the help!

You'll want to get a complete module (with antenna if necessary) that's ready to interface with your uC. Some that I've been looking at are:

**broken link removed** - RF12 and RF12B (< 1 GHz)
- available from futurlec.com

The RF modules available from sparkfun.com (and also available from futurlec) (315 and 434 Mhz)
- probably the simplest to use

CYWUSB6935 (2.4 GHz)
- much more complex and capable chip - available as a module from mouser.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back