Wireless Communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

bacterozoid

I'm looking into using wireless communication for a project I'm working on, but I'm not sure where to start. I need to transmit small amounts of data from one device to another (back and forth) and that's really it. It's basically just a couple integers.

I'm familiar with your basic networking protocols but I'm honestly not sure what level to work on. Can I just buy a chip that I send my values that creates the ICMP packets and sends them off? I've looked online for some tutorials but I don't think I really know what I'm searching for so it's difficult.

Edit: This device doesn't need to connect to an existing wireless network - just needs to connect to another device and have a decent range.

Thanks!

So can I use something like this ZigBee to communicate between two devices?

**broken link removed**

Or do I need something more substantial like this Wi-Fi module:

**broken link removed**

Or you could try the TI site and look for CC1111, unfortunately they are popular and there seems to be a 20 week wait at the moment.

Any other suggestions? If not, I think what has been posted puts me at least in the right direction and might even work for me. Thanks for the help!

bacterozoid said:
Any other suggestions? If not, I think what has been posted puts me at least in the right direction and might even work for me. Thanks for the help!

You'll want to get a complete module (with antenna if necessary) that's ready to interface with your uC. Some that I've been looking at are:

**broken link removed** - RF12 and RF12B (< 1 GHz)
- available from futurlec.com

The RF modules available from sparkfun.com (and also available from futurlec) (315 and 434 Mhz)
- probably the simplest to use

CYWUSB6935 (2.4 GHz)
- much more complex and capable chip - available as a module from mouser.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…