Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wind energy to electric energy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here, i have built a generator stick, of sorts..a plastic tube with magnet wire wraped around the outside..and four of my 1/2'' dia. x 1/2'' magnets bouncing back and forth on the inside..
this one is something anyone could build..and experiment with
the first pic is the " rotor " above the 5 cent piece..above that is the middle of the shaker tube generator..
i got to thinking one day , that if i could increase the magnetic field that cuts the wire i could improve the output of the generator..so this is what i did..
From left to right , the poles on the magnets of the rotor are North south south north south north north south.. the two larger steel washers in the middle seperate the north north and the south south poles..and , because like poles repel i needed something to stick them to..not sure wether you can see but i have also cut four small slits in the two center washers which i wrapped wire around to keep the magnets centered because even though i filled the center of the washers with steel the little bit that gets out tends to push the magnets off center..
pic two is my new armature fixture for the generator i gave up on .. :roll:
between the duct tape and the play dough is resin curing to the exact shape i need to get it to work..
i took two pieces of copper sheet and bent the one around the inside of the old motor, the other i bent around the rotor from a little ways back..
i have 0.350 '' clearence , so i made the fixture 0.300 thick...

Attachments

• new_armature_fixture.jpg
    new_armature_fixture.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,276
  • rotor.jpg
    rotor.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,263
My shaker generator is doing real well.. it gets a very impressive 25 Volts p-p , per pass ..
i also improved the end caps , two nickels hot glued together and taped to the end is all i really needed ..i also hot glued the springs to the ' rotor ' ..

Someone threw out a very large copier the other day.. i was driving by and saw sombody taking some stuff off of it..so i went around the block and pulled up , screwdriver in hand, and proceded to get some of the best free stuff i could imagine..motors OMG !! some of the best precision motors i have ever seen!!
and bearings !! OMG ! i'll be dammed if the bearings on that machine didnt fit the shaft on the junk yard motor i am retrofiting into a generator!! and not just a close fit either , it is a perfect fit..!!
and five circuit boards full of parts.!! power , logic, you name it..

:?: anyway, i have a question???the circuit diagram below is from https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2005/04/syncrecapec2005-1.pdf
the irf website..even though it looks backwards ( the diode direction) i realize that they are FETs.. but i tried it the way it is ( with just diodes ) and it works..so my question is (why or how) could you use FETs in this sync rectifier??what i mean is the waveform looked well NICE!! and there didnt seem to be any way it could be improved by using FETs ..??? i mean there were no dead spots in the wave?? :?:

Attachments

• full_wave.jpg
    full_wave.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,245
Now for something compleatly different , sort of..
From the cameras point of view in pic one it looks like the nose cone is covering a lot more than it really is..there is about three inches of
airflow around the perimeter..
This wind turbine is made from a bicycle wheel which drives the generator at the bottom ..
The torque this turbine produces is pretty awesome..unlike the propellers it doesnt slow down considerably when under load , of 1.0 ohms..
it only slowed down 20 RPM from an unloaded speed of 150 RPM..
parts required ::
1 )one 16'' bicycle rim (from the back ) with sprocket..
some bicycle chain ..
2) for fins you can use slats from a horizontal window shade ( i did)..
3) a second sprocket ( to drive the generator) of similiar size of a little larger ..
4) two parallel poles ( for mounting the wheel)
5) some cardboard for the shroud and nose cone..
thats all..!! except for a generator of your choice..
let me know if anyone out there tries this ..
lol Pic two makes me laugh.. because it looks , well, so cool..

saved

Attachments

• untitled_0056_00010.jpg
    untitled_0056_00010.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,055
  • untitled_0056_0001.jpg
    untitled_0056_0001.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1,057
Hiya WilliB,
Here's a pic of my sav wind genny I'm making I made the blades from a ducting pipe I got for nothing, I used a 5/8 shaft but in a medium wind the shaft flex's so I have to upgrade it to 1". But when it was doing a 100 rpm I couldn't stop the shaft so it's got a heap of torque.

Cheers Bryan :D

Attachments

• sav_wind_genny.jpg
    sav_wind_genny.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,276
Hiya WilliB,
The collector is about 750 mm high and about 700 diameter. The material used is 1mm galvanized plate which makes it a good heavyduty unit. Unfortunately with me working away 3 out of 4 weeks the project is on the backburner. On doing a heap of research saviounous wind gennies only produce a fraction of power that a wind turbine can ( I'll see if I can find the graph for you and post it up here ). But with my first tests this genny will produce a resonable amount of power so I'm now thinking of making up an alternator for it but it could be a long wait to get some magnets from the US.

Cheers Bryan :D

Wind Energy

Hi all,

i was wondering, can i use an normal

Electric A/C motor to generate A/C power?

For example a motor spec = 5Kw @ 230volts.. it turns normally 1500rpm..

if i turn it by hand to 1500rpm would it then generate 230volts?
(maybe small amps because i do it by hand...)

for the idea?

wy you would use it?
wy you wouldn't?

Tks

Re: Wind Energy

TKS said:
Hi all,

i was wondering, can i use an normal

Electric A/C motor to generate A/C power?

For example a motor spec = 5Kw @ 230volts.. it turns normally 1500rpm..

Only if it uses a permanent magnet - otherwise there's no magnetic field to generate the electricity!.

Generally AC motors DON'T use permanent magnets, they use the mains to energise a field coil.

There was a website (gone now) where a guy used a lawnmowwer engine to turn an AC motor and it worked very well as an alternator. He said that most motors retain a small amount of magnetism which increases to normal when it begins generating electircity.
If the motor doesn't have any magnetism then it won't work until after you connect a battery to it for a moment.

mhhh

to di it with an 3 fase engine i thouhg it was neccecary to use 3 caps..

and to connect them to the engine...

in that way it would work..

what they do cant rememeber...

Searching time!

Tks

Yeah, I think the AC motor used as a generator had a big capacitor connected to its "start" winding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back