Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WI-FI SPEED WINDOWS vs LINUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacIntoshCZ

Hello,
I am having trouble with wifi. When I am on windows my internet speed i about 3*3-5 MB/s. But when i switch to LINUX i can download on full speed 6,5 MB/s.
I though laptops just have bad antennas becouse i tried several laptops (Lenova Yoga, acer nitro 5 etc...) and when i tried internet speed on smartphone i had no issues. Then I realiese smartphone running on linux kernel. So i install Xubuntu on all laptops and it works on full speed.
* NOTE : CLEAN WINDOWS !!!
* NOTE : 5GHZ SUPPORT on all devices, running 5GHZ network

Run an NDT speed test. There was a windows program called tweakUI. When I ran windows, I had to modify the receive buffer lengths.

You might have Windows downloading loads of updates in the background, this will slow down your overall speed. You may also have malware or viruses on your machine slowing down your connection - have you done a full scan with Malwarebytes (for the malware) and a good AV scanner ?

Check your performance monitor on your PC and see if there is anything hogging your wireless bandwidth.

There is no way i could catch virus. I have something like phobia from infecting pc. When i have bad feeling i must reinstall windows and format hdd. I am using eset antivirus. Btw. internet speed seems to be ok now. After reinstalling windows again, it works at the moment.

windows has a lot more overhead than Linux (although I've done a few machines using the KDE desktop using all the file indexing features etc... and all the eye candy, and had that run as slow as windows). I don't think there's a modern version of TweakUI but there probably are windows settings that will improve performance. windows XP used to have a file indexing service running, and turning that service off sped up the machine a lot, with the downside that file searches take longer. virus scanners also slow things down because they examine every file you open or run, and there may be some settings in the antivirus software you can tweak.

windows has a lot more overhead than Linux (although I've done a few machines using the KDE desktop using all the file indexing features etc... and all the eye candy, and had that run as slow as windows). I don't think there's a modern version of TweakUI but there probably are windows settings that will improve performance. windows XP used to have a file indexing service running, and turning that service off sped up the machine a lot, with the downside that file searches take longer. virus scanners also slow things down because they examine every file you open or run, and there may be some settings in the antivirus software you can tweak.

The last you mention is what I discovered years ago, hogging all resources. Once disabled that crazy checking of every file being opened / closed, things returned to normal.

I am suffering trouble using the internet through a wifi connection. The loading time is very high. When I am using Facebook or any social media sites then I face the same kind of problem. So I am going to switch to Linux because my friend told me Linux speed is very fast.

I am suffering trouble using the internet through a wifi connection. The loading time is very high. When I am using Facebook or any social media sites then I face the same kind of problem. So I am going to switch to Linux because my friend told me Linux speed is very fast.
You should check internet speed via Live CD first. Xubuntu,kubuntu, lubuntu etc?

You should check internet speed via Live CD first. Xubuntu,kubuntu, lubuntu etc?
you probably can, but be aware that running from a live cd, or a live usb isn't going to perform as well as linux running off the hard drive. you don't have swap space, and the data speeds from a CD or USB are slower than a hard drive... it is, however a good way to get a good idea what to expect from a particular distro as far as the software that comes with it.

Why not just dump windoze altogether , i was reluctant do do so , not that i have followed the win 98 XP 7 8 10 progression . seemed i was always fighting windows . like a slave , linux.mint 19.2 is not difficult to install, run , update , ok some programs wont run on it but there are ways round that ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back