Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3G vs 2G cellular module for a professional power sensitive GPS tracker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The power switch is a MIC2025-1, which can handle 500mA which was enough for the GPS module.

Well I was thinking I can get the phone number to show up for the SIM900 I got it from radio shack for about nothing there was no papers nothing and google just showed people having the same problems but I read that it would reset if you wasn't using a 2 amp supply. I never tried it that way now i'm wondering if thats what was happping all alone.
cause I have had everything work up to the point where I start sending text then it would stop doing anything.

I would get it was on t-moble and stuff and show it had service and a working number but as soon as I sent it a text or used it to send a text nothing.

Well I was thinking I can get the phone number to show up for the SIM900 I got it from radio shack for about nothing there was no papers nothing and google just showed people having the same problems but I read that it would reset if you wasn't using a 2 amp supply. I never tried it that way now i'm wondering if thats what was happping all alone.
cause I have had everything work up to the point where I start sending text then it would stop doing anything.

Yeah, they take (at least) 2A pulses - if you don't have a decent PSU then it won't work - as soon as it tries to transmit the voltage drops and the unit resets.

I'm powering my SIM800L models either from two 18650 batteries in parallel (at the moment), or from a higher voltage via a little switch-mode PSU with an LCD display on it. In either case there's plenty of power available for the modem - I've also got a 1000uF capacitor right next to the power inputs of the module, and space on the board for fitting a 'BEST' capacitor in case of a need to use a long life (and high internal resistance) Lithium battery.

Nigal, this is a load switch designed for USB C - 2 amps at up to 36 volts. Pity it's some micro package! There are several variants. The one I looked at is US$1.22 at Digikey.

TCK30xG by Toshiba.

Nigal, this is a load switch designed for USB C - 2 amps at up to 36 volts. Pity it's some micro package!

The micro package would be a problem :D

The dual-FET I used switches 6A, and is in a sensible sized SM package - but does require a few resistors to make a high level switch out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back