Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why capacitor pass AC & block DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Capacitive reactance -- the "resistance" of a capacitor to current flow -- is found by 1/(2*pi*f*C). For high frequencies, this "resistance" is low, allowing current flow. The lower the frequency, the higher this "resistance" is. DC or direct current is consider "zero" Hertz frequency and the capacitive reactance ("resistance") at this point is infinite, allowing no current flow at all. So, the higher the frequency, the easier it is for the signal to pass through the capacitor; the lower the frequency, the more difficult it is for current to pass and impossible for DC.

Dean

well that was teh maths behind it

but physically, a capacitor is two plates with some form of insulator between them (that has di-electric proporties).

Hence a capacitor cannot pass DC since a capacitor is an open circuit.

For AC however, both plates get charged up with a certain polarity, when the voltage swaps over that charge then gets pulled off. So although capacitors "appear" to pass AC it doesn't really

no power is transfered, just signal infomation

What I mean is no "current" passes through a capacitor (if you ignore leakage)

The threadstarter must be very new to electronics to ask such a question. I'd suggest he grab any electronic book and read through the introductory chapters. These kind of information is fundamental in all of electronics.

Russlk said:
A DC transient current does pass thru a capacitor, up to the point of the capacitor becoming fully charged. An AC current passes thru the capacitor continuously.
The current doesnt really pass through in the physical sense, unless you are referring to displacement current. Anyway, venturing any deeper would be confusing the threadstarter even further.

Juglenaut said:
Current leads voltage.

WooHoo a good fraise I like for that is

CIVIL

For a capaictive load Current leads volts (C I V)

For an inductor load voltage leads current ( V I L)

Alternations (AC) between + and - cause the plates of the Capacitor to be equally but differently charged. They attract each other, and Electric field exists.

On the other hand, DC is constant and due to this, there are no opposite charges on plate 2 to attract the charges of plate 1. Consequently, DC is blocked.

Caps can pass DC

Caps can pass DC.

But when you try to measure it, the cap charges a little, and given enough time, the cap fully charges, and then and only then can you say the cap does not any longer pass the DC. It actually still passes it, it's just that the cap now has a voltage that exactly cancels out the applied DC, resulting in a sum of zero volts at the cap output.

Just use a 10uF cap on the output of a signal generator (with DC offset knob). Then with a 10Meg Ohm scope probe on the other side of the cap (set scope to DC coupling), you can change the offset, and what do you know, you see a DC offset sine. Discharge the cap before wiring, else you'll get an additional voltage offset.

The scope 10 Meg ohms will slowly charge the cap to match the DC offset.

If you use a FET / active probe, you should not see any drift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back