Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which Gerber Viewer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanhalt

Most Helpful Member
The cheaper board houses seem to require submission of Gerber files, not just Eagle files. There are several free versions on the Internet. Here is an older review (2011): http://www.bot-thoughts.com/2011/09/free-windows-gerber-viewers.html

The two choices below are that author's favorites:
**broken link removed**
http://www.easylogix.de/products_detail.php?prog_id=1

1) Are those safe sites?
2) Any experience with them to report?

There are many others that are not included in that review, such as this one:

http://www.mccad.com/FREE_GerberViewer.html

I am looking for recommendations. Safety is a main criterion of mine. I don't like junk on my PC.

John

UPDATE:

1) easylogix/gerberlogix -- had problems doing a drill file from the Eagle-made Gerbers. A 2012 note from Sunstone mentions the need to create the drill file as a separate procedure. That didn't seem to work. Addendum: Eagle Tutorial 7.2.0 had the answer. Sunstone used a much earlier version. Same approach, just slightly different terminology.

2) MCCAD has known problems with Windows. MS has a fix for those problems: **broken link removed** Seems like a bit of a pain on top of the glitches in Eagle 7.2.0

Last edited:
Thanks. I will try that. I went with GerberLogix, apparently didn't get any garbage in my PC, and could see all the layers. I will try the Pentalogix in the next few days and compare.

John

Thanks, Jeff

I downloaded GC-Prevue and got a "malicious" warning from Chrome. Don't know whether Chrome is being over sensitive this morning or it's for real. Will try again later in the day. Avast was quiet, so I suspect it is a false alarm.

John

Could be a false alarm... I've never gotten a malicious warning from their site (I use FF 34.0.5).
Frankly, I'm not sure how a site gets a rating like that in the first place.

Avast gives a lot of false warnings. This is the first warning I have had from Chrome that I can remember. My guess is that it is seeing an executable or something. Surprisingly, Avast did not give a warning. Alternatively, maybe there is a malicious software site that Chrome subscribes to that has the company listed. That has happened to me a few times with spam blacklists that had errors.

We got the mild part of the storm that is hitting the East coast -- about 6" where I am. I will get that cleaned up in a few hours and then re-try.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back