Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which Area of Electronics i should Concentrate on for future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neptune

Hello,
Among these areas of Electrical engineering course , which has the promissing future. By promissing
i mean having job opportunities, Research opportunities , Buisness opportunities..
My priorty is Research then Buisness then Job in that order.

These are some Crude Topics. you can suggest whatever you want.

Power electronics
Analouge electronics
Digital Electronics
Embedded system
VLSI
FPGA,PIC
Assembly language (8085,8086,8051 etc)
HDL languages such as VHDL,Verilog designs etc.
Computer Architecture
RF engineering
Microwave engineering
Optical engineering
Communication systems (Computer or Physical level)
Antenna engineering
Telephone networks or Mobile networks
nano engineering
Quantum computing

C++.

A bunch of digital electronic design occasionally involves some manner of programming (i.e., imbedded control instructions) that is, of course, in machine code, but is often easier to create with, for example, C++, which is then compiles the instructions into machine code. An extra step, perhaps, but I think easier to edit (as with any higher level language).

I agree that everyone should learn to program in asm. But the vast majority of embedded coding is done in c.

Do not overlook the medical field. My advice is to take some biology and other classes pre med people take. Then go into engineering for the medical field. The population in general is living longer and someone has to do the engineering for all the new technology needed to support that.

Do not overlook the medical field. My advice is to take some biology and other classes pre med people take.

Why would biology or premed be any use for medical engineering?.

Certainly in the past a LOT of TV Engineers went off to do serving on medical equipment, because it paid a LOT better.

Not knowing anything about the field might fly at the technician level but not for an engineer.

From the University of Michigan Undergraduate Bio Medical Engineering web page. It did not have to hunt for this it was the first hit for "medical engineering programs".

Students who enjoy math, physics and chemistry, but who also have a keen interest in biology and medicine, should consider a career in biomedical engineering. Synthetic heart valves, the MRI scanner, and automatic bio-sensors for rapid gene sequencing are each examples of biomedical engineering. Biomedical Engineering (BME) is the newest engineering discipline, integrating the basic principles of biology with the tools of engineering.

LOL... Is this a question to ask?
Concentrate on the area you like.
I have wide area of interest.
If i like Analouge engineering For Example then currently Analouge has minimal demand only in Research labs in companys. And there are thousands of Analouge engineers sitting as freelancers. Why would i go into that HyperCompetitive Enviornment .. I would then choose my second best interest.

And doesn't appear to have any relation to Electronics?.

Quite the contrary, Bioengineering is a broad term combining biology and engineering. One can focus in electronics and biology if one chooses to do so, although the scope of bioengineering can encompass many other fields.

What Does a Bioengineering Major Do?

Because bioengineering combines the two major disciplines of biology and engineering, bioengineers have a wide variety of career choices. Some graduates may work alongside medical practitioners, developing new medical techniques, medical devices, and instrumentation for manufacturing companies. Hospitals and clinics employ clinical engineers to maintain and improve the technological support systems used for patient care. Graduates with advanced bioengineering degrees perform biological and medical research in educational and governmental research laboratories.

Bioengineering often applies traditional engineering expertise to human applications in medicine. Many bioengineering professionals seek to help people by solving complex problems in medicine and healthcare. Some bioengineering jobs combine several disciplines, requiring a diverse array of skills. Digital hearing aids, implantable defibrillators, artificial heart valves, and pacemakers are all bioengineering products that help people combat disease and disability. Bioengineers develop advanced therapeutic and surgical devices, such as a laser system for eye surgery and a device that regulates automated delivery of insulin.

Source of above text : https://www.worldwidelearn.com/online-education-guide/engineering/bioengineering-major.htm

Last edited:
Quite the contrary, Bioengineering is a broad term combining biology and engineering. One can focus in electronics and biology if one chooses to do so, although the scope of bioengineering can encompass many other fields.

While I happily agree that the 'field' of bioengineering uses electronics - the Bio engineering course you mentioned didn't seem to specify electronics.

I would also imagine that the designers of the electronics in bioengineerng products are electronics engineers, and not 'bio-engineers'.

While I happily agree that the 'field' of bioengineering uses electronics - the Bio engineering course you mentioned didn't seem to specify electronics.

I would also imagine that the designers of the electronics in bioengineerng products are electronics engineers, and not 'bio-engineers'.

It is a cross disipline thing where two or more disciplines are merged to form a new discipline. And it is a fairly new and very broad field.

Sometimes, disciplines within BME are classified by their association(s) with other, more established engineering fields, which can include:

Chemical engineering - often associated with biochemical, cellular, molecular and tissue engineering, biomaterials, and biotransport.

Electrical engineering - often associated with bioelectrical and neural engineering, bioinstrumentation, biomedical imaging, and medical devices. This also tends to encompass Optics and Optical engineering - biomedical optics, imaging and related medical devices.

Mechanical engineering - often associated with biomechanics, biotransport, medical devices, and modeling of biological systems, like soft tissue mechanics.

EDIT: In a R&D environment the person with a cross discipline background will be able to see or imagine what a single discipline person will not.

Last edited:
To answer the OP, I really think what ever field you choose, it should be one your interested in.

To answer the OP, I really think what ever field you choose, it should be one your interested in.
What is the use of that interest when its Future is Dark

What is the use of that interest when its Future is Dark

IMHO,
Yes, as said above
Your future will be dark, when you choose an uninterested field.
Your future will be bright, when you choose an interested field.

There's nothing like a bad/unworthy field.

Edit: I watched a movie 'Office Space' very recently... Nice Movie, i suggest you to watch it once.

Last edited:
o_O very nice post ... But what happens when you belong to generation which Graduated in Peak Recession like me :-| .. you grab first job which you can .. Although i have kept my passion alive as hobby , And so is my question based on Range of things which interests me.

Earlier you said
My priorty is Research then Buisness then Job in that order.

A EE degree with good grades tells the world that you can do most anything you set out to do. For that reason EE's can end up in a lot of different jobs. Some not EE related.

Pure research will generaly take a PhD or master degree. A R&D lab spot can be had with good grades in a 4 year degree but a masters is better.

Working in R&D can be very rewarding. The down side is that there can be a lot of pressure to innovate and it is difficult to confine your work to working hours.

The ability to write well is important for all but technician level jobsl

ok, So Reasearch labs do not give one freedom for free thinking nor do they leave time for you ?
I read about a story on net that how a person got his PhD in Vaccum tubes in 1950-51 when All of sudden transistor came in and his Phd was obsolete.
He ended up working in Some store. lol

I am currently graduate and will be going for masters. i have left all my options open

ok, So Reasearch labs do not give one freedom for free thinking nor do they leave time for you ?
I read about a story on net that how a person got his PhD in Vaccum tubes in 1950-51 when All of sudden transistor came in and his Phd was obsolete.
He ended up working in Some store. lol
Not all labs are created equal. At a place like Sandia National Labs or HP Labs pure research is done. I expect there is some form of oversight. There are more research and design labs where products are created. In these there is some invention but also a lot of making things work. You are far more likely to create products with existing technology then create new technology. But there is till some room to be creative so long as it does not get in the way of launching the product.

There seems to be a world wide trend to have engineers work longer hours, and the pay is not as good as it used to be. Having said that it is still one of the better jobs, and still the idea choice for a person with the right sort of mind.

About the transistor guy. Hindsight being what it is we can say the fellow choose to focus on a mature technology. Or it could be that he was not the best looking apple and would have had the same problem without transistors. Or maybe transistors were similar to the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs. There almost always seem to be jobs for people at the top of their class/field.

The danger of going with something new is that it can turn out to be a "flash in the pan". But at the same time it provides early entry to field and a chance to made a difference.

About the transistor guy. Hindsight being what it is we can say the fellow choose to focus on a mature technology. Or it could be that he was not the best looking apple and would have had the same problem without transistors. Or maybe transistors were similar to the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs. There almost always seem to be jobs for people at the top of their class/field.

I suspect the story is just a myth - if he was any use whatsoever as an engineer he should have had no problem moving to transistors, the same basic electronic principles still apply, with most transistor designs based on valve ones (colpitts oscillators etc. - it's mostly all valve designs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back