Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the best PCB Layout Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suraj143

Hi guys can you tell me from which software you all drawing the PCB LAYOUT.

Can you name some good PCB layout software’s? It’s better if it’s a free version.

Also I DON’T need SCHEMATIC drawing softwares I need the PCB layout softwares. (1 or 2 layers is more than enough for me)

Thanks

I would have to recommend Eagle (eagle lite is free). The learning curve could be steep if you haven't worked with this kind of thing before, but it is well worth it, and I recommend it strongly. Google eagle cad lite for download.

If you need easy auto trace, eagle is free. But if you need best layout, you need any CAD based software. CADint demo version is free, but only 250 unit component.

Blatman Bond said:
If you need easy auto trace, eagle is free. But if you need best layout, you need any CAD based software. CADint demo version is free, but only 250 unit component.

Could you be a bit more specific about why you like CADnt better?
Why do you think it is a better layout tool?

One of the things I like about Eagle is the scripts. They are esp helpful when making you own boards. I use Drill-Aid to close up the holes, this allows me to use smaller drills. I use PCB-Gcode to generate NC files for a CNC machine that I use to drill boards.

Blatman Bond said:
CADint is CAD based, so we can customizing and creating components as we need. Free (but limited 250U) CAD based software.
Hi, is 250 including the wirepad and connection tracks? 250 units of components are a lot for me.

Blatman Bond said:
CADint is CAD based, so we can customizing and creating components as we need. Free (but limited 250U) CAD based software.
You can do the same in Eagle.

Why do you think Eagle is not CAD?

Again

I use Corel Draw - I've tried all the major PCB software and always seem to end up doing it manually.

I have my own "library" of standard pads and DIL patterns and just copy and paste at will :p

My biggest gripe with Eagle is when I have to try and add a part to the library - I've never quite worked out how to do it.

Sprint Layout 5.0 from Abacom is only €39.90.. :D

Very simple to create boards of upto 4 layers..
OR you could go to the other end of the scale and use Protel.. I use both.. :eek:

clicky clicky on this link to have a look at the Sprint.

3v0 said:
You can do the same in Eagle.

Why do you think Eagle is not CAD?

Again

I have to agree with 3vO. eagle is CAD. not only that but you can do extremely sophisticated things even in the free version. On top of that, there is an extremely active support group at cadsoft.

About the CADint demo version

OK, might be not the best CAD software, but I used it.
I also used Eagle for fast design.

Here more picture about environment and printed layout.
Demo version is limited for 250 unit net used. They using Netlist.

Attachments

• CADint-example1.JPG
    CADint-example1.JPG
    299.2 KB · Views: 1,004
  • CADint-example2.JPG
    CADint-example2.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:
I've been having a play with the Sprint Layout since it was suggested here and I find it very easy to use - I'm seriously considering buying a copy - especially at the price.

3v0 said:
It uses rubber bands (airwires).

Does it have a schematic capture/editor?
Well you can buy a seperate schematic capture package but the layout is just that - a PCB layout and editor.

Very very easy to define new footprints, manual routing is better than the autorouter (which is a single wire by wire router and a bit crap) but for me seems ideal as I use Corel Draw to design my PCBs anyway. I can do a board in around a third of the time of Corel Draw and a tenth of the time of Eagle (I'm not a great Eagle fan and have only used it for 8-10 hours though).

Best of all is the price which is a little under 40 euros or around $50 - it will save me that in the first day of designing with it if its all it seems to be so far.

Thanks for the info.

I think I will stick with Eagle. It is free, it has schematic capture.

Eagle is a good package but the learning curve seem to put a lot of people off. The free version does everything I need/want.

Its worth having a play with Sprint - its only a 5.6mb download and although its save/print disabled for the demo it will give you an idea if its worth using for you.

ISIS and Aries for Labcenter Electronics http://www.labcenter.co.uk/index_uk.htm

The version I have is not free (I use the Starter Kit 500 pads max) but I know it and it does every thing from Schematic to VSM and on to design the board. No need to learn anything else or use any other package.

I also find the support great.

Well I had a bit more of a play with Sprint and purchased a copy about 5 minutes ago. Questions from the company were answered promptly via email and I've got a fair bit of PCB work to do this week so if its as good as it seems to be I can get a lot of work done :)

Zuken CADStar Express is available free now with 300 pin limitation.
**broken link removed**

Even KiCAD is good. Its feature rich and most important..its FREE.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back