Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the best PCB Layout Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
The original question is too broad.
What is the best PCB Layout Software?

Obviously the best PCB layout software is something that few or none of us can afford.

Better questions would be
What is the best free Layout Software?
What is the best Layout software for under $??

I do not like the idea of a limit on the number of pins or a restricted component library.

The only system that I would switch to is the "Proteus PCB Design" mentioned by Tim_B and used by gramo. But I can not come close to affording it. Proteus adds a real feature, The ability to use the same schematic for spice simulations (with PICS) and as input to the PCB layout tool.

It is much too costly for hobby use. The version Tim_B uses is the least expensive at [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]£150 [/SIZE][/FONT]but only supports 3 processors. The price doubles if you want a family, and is 5X for all the families. The educational discounts are on the low side at 20% off.

Also remember that you do not pay for this sort of software once. There is always updates etc.

Edit:
After some refletion I see that my cost based questions are too narrow also.

One should also concider what features the users needs.
If the user is making a board or two or if he actualy want to advance.
I am sure there are more.

Last edited:
Suraj143 said:
Hi guys can you tell me from which software you all drawing the PCB LAYOUT.

Can you name some good PCB layout software’s? It’s better if it’s a free version.

Also I DON’T need SCHEMATIC drawing softwares I need the PCB layout softwares. (1 or 2 layers is more than enough for me)

Thanks

After trying Eagle and a few others, I finally settled on ExpressPCB.
It is quite intuitive in its interface and I am quite surprised that it doesn't get anybody else's approval or even the casual mention that they have tried it and didn't like it because.........
P.S. It is free.

Rolf said:
After trying Eagle and a few others, I finally settled on ExpressPCB.
It is quite intuitive in its interface and I am quite surprised that it doesn't get anybody else's approval or even the casual mention that they have tried it and didn't like it because.........
P.S. It is free.
I have tried it and I don't like it because when you try to take print-out of your layout, it comes with grid on. No matter what setting you try, it doesn't go. This is purposely done so that you have to order your PCBs from them only.

Express PCB...........

kinjalgp said:
I have tried it and I don't like it because when you try to take print-out of your layout, it comes with grid on. No matter what setting you try, it doesn't go. This is purposely done so that you have to order your PCBs from them only.

I have used two different versions in the past year or so, and I newer have had that problem!
You don't "take print-out of your layout", you go to File and select the Layers you want to print. The only small complaint I have is that they only print in the center of the page but you can get around that if it is a problem
I guess it is this kind of misinformation that has given it a bad name.
Besides if you had written them about it they would have helped you, they have always answered my emails and listened to my suggestions.

Rolf said:
I have used two different versions in the past year or so, and I newer have had that problem!
You don't "take print-out of your layout", you go to File and select the Layers you want to print. The only small complaint I have is that they only print in the center of the page but you can get around that if it is a problem
I guess it is this kind of misinformation that has given it a bad name.
Besides if you had written them about it they would have helped you, they have always answered my emails and listened to my suggestions.
I used it 5-6 years ago and then never tried it. I guess they removed that "feature" in the recent versions. I don't think that was a "misinformation" as such thing did existed in the past.

Read this
**broken link removed**

In the last few days I have downloaded the free versions of,

PC express
Kincad
Eagle
PCBwizard

Eagle is pretty tough for a beginner but, There is a Linux version and thats a plus.

Kincad has a linux version also but dont know if there is autoroute,
I think thats what its called when you can take a schematic and automatically convert it to a Board trace, is that right?

PC Express and PCB wizard are pretty simple, and windows only, but dont know about autotrace.

Express PCB...........

kinjalgp said:
I used it 5-6 years ago and then never tried it. I guess they removed that "feature" in the recent versions. I don't think that was aas such thing did existed in the past.

Read this
**broken link removed**

So you don't like the word "misinformation" when you refer to a function in a program that you tried many years ago, well then we can just call it outdated info, not much better. I think we (the forum) would like to be better informed than that.

As for the URL, you are referring to in order to back up your statement; there is no way I know of dating it and since it is not dated or refer to any Version #, I would expect that it is outdated information also.

Express PCB...........

Nicksan said:
In the last few days I have downloaded the free versions of,

PC express
Kincad
Eagle
PCBwizard

Eagle is pretty tough for a beginner but, There is a Linux version and thats a plus.

Kincad has a linux version also but dont know if there is autoroute,
I think thats what its called when you can take a schematic and automatically convert it to a Board trace, is that right?

PC Express and PCB wizard are pretty simple, and windows only, but dont know about autotrace.

Express PCB has a function called "Link schematic to PCB", that I have newer used.
Hope you are not confusing "simple" with easy to use. It has much more sophistication that is apparent the first few times you use it. It has newer let me down.

Rolf said:
Express PCB has a function called "Link schematic to PCB", that I have newer used.
Hope you are not confusing "simple" with easy to use. It has much more sophistication that is apparent the first few times you use it. It has newer let me down.
"Link schematic to PCB" is nothing but "forward-backward annotation" function which is present is almost all professional PCB softwares. After the schematic and PCB are linked, any changes you make in the schematic are reflected on the board and vice-versa.

Express PCB...........

kinkily said:
"Link schematic to PCB" is nothing but "forward-backward annotation" function which is present is almost all professional PCB softwares. After the schematic and PCB are linked, any changes you make in the schematic are reflected on the board and vice-versa.

Here is part of what the Help File says:
"Once linked, Express PCB can show you which pins should be connected together by highlighting them in blue."
Is this the same as you call annotation? I am not trying to give you a hard time, I am just trying to learn.

Rolf said:
Here is part of what the Help File says:
"Once linked, Express PCB can show you which pins should be connected together by highlighting them in blue."
Is this the same as you call annotation? I am not trying to give you a hard time, I am just trying to learn.
Yes its is the same thing. Its shows connection between pads in the form of "rats-nest" (rubber-band connections). Now if you change/delete/add any net in the schematic, corresponding connection on the PCB is also changed/deleted/added and this is the main purpose of "link" or "annotation" function.
Once you start using this function, you'll find softwares like Eagle the best for PCBs as it is very good at this. Making PCB from schematic is really easy and reduces errors than making one from scratch without annotation function

You are not at all giving me a hard time :)....Even I used to be curious and excited like you when I entered in this field. So no worries...throw in as many queries you want and I and others will try our best to help.

Last edited:
kinjalgp said:
Making PCB from schematic is really easy and reduces errors than making one from scratch without annotation function
One you are used to this is seems pointless to work without it. I am quite serious about this. Not having to worry about getting the connections right frees up the mind to work on the actual layout task.

3v0 said:
One you are used to this is seems pointless to work without it. I am quite serious about this. Not having to worry about getting the connections right frees up the mind to work on the actual layout task.
You are absolutely right 3v0. For hobby work its ok to use softwares without annotation but if you really want to take this to a professional level, you just cant do without it.

Having the schematic capture feed the PCB layout is a huge time and error-saver, even for the hobbiest. Granted if you're a hobbiest making a small board with just a few components then almost any PCB layout program will do, but as a hobbiest I have several boards with *hundreds* of pins even though they have relatively few components.

Also, as we're all busy in our real lives(tm), saving time when doing one's hobby is a damn fine idea :)

I have previously used Protel which is great to use but has now totally outgrown the reach of any hobbiest and even many small companies. Now I use ExpressPCB because it is hands-down the easiest tool to use. Eagle's UI sucks major rocks, as do the UIs of most of the others mentioned in this thread (I've tried lots of them!)

I've happily used ExpressPCB to create artwork for a single-sided PCB which I then etched at home... including one with 400+ holes (eek! I hate drilling!) This allows me to create initial prototypes without need to go straight to ExpressPCB for manufacturing. Now that I've got the design right, I'll add double-sided traces to replace the links and tidy the layout, then send it off to ExpressPCB.

Hope this helps,
P. (aka pantoine on Sparkfun forums)

E

aussiepoof said:
{snip}
I've happily used ExpressPCB to create artwork for a single-sided PCB which I then etched at home... including one with 400+ holes (eek! I hate drilling!) This allows me to create initial prototypes without need to go straight to ExpressPCB for manufacturing. Now that I've got the design right, I'll add double-sided traces to replace the links and tidy the layout, then send it off to ExpressPCB.

Hope this helps,
P. (aka pantoine on Sparkfun forums)

Glad to hear of others good experience with Express PCB's program. I thought I recognized a good program when I used one. Being able to make your own prototypes sure takes the "angst" out or ordering. And getting factory made boards back in three working days is unbelievable service.

Sounds like ExpressPCB is worth a try. I have used Eagle enough to not mind the UI too much but I am still unhappy with the library search and the part editing could be better.

I have used Eagle enough that I do not mind the UI but I find it difficult to teach to others. So I will give ExpressPCB a try.

At this point I am going to go off topic a bit and talk about board making.

aussiepoof said:
I've happily used ExpressPCB to create artwork for a single-sided PCB which I then etched at home... including one with 400+ holes (eek! I hate drilling!)

I agree and that is one of the reasons I am starting with surfacemount parts. But I am not sure how much the hole count will go down. You can not run traces between pins on surface mount chips so layouts tend to require more vias.

Last winter I discovered the local high school where I volunteer has a milling machine. Since then I have been using it and PCB-GCODE on Eagle to generate NC files. Works great and the holes are very neat. If I switch I will have to figure out how to generate the code to drill the holes. Maybe some EXECLON to GCODE tool.

The machine drilled holes makes alignment somewhat easier. I do some 2 sided boards but etch one side at a time. The other is covered with box tape.

Does PC express have a way of converting a schematic into a PC board layout for printing?

I have been horsing around with eagle and it is a pain.
I cant get a schematic converted to a board layout.

Nicksan said:
Does PC express have a way of converting a schematic into a PC board layout for printing?

I have been horsing around with eagle and it is a pain.
I cant get a schematic converted to a board layout.
I guess ExpressPCB wont come anything near Eagle when it comes to converting schematic to PCB (I am not against ExpressPCB but it lacks the features you'll find in Eagle). You just need one click of a button (Switch to board) and your components are placed (of-course randomly) on the board. Now its your turn to place them properly and route it either manually or using auto-router.

You can't expect that Eagle/any other software will do all the neat placement for you and even if it does...it is not at all efficient. For testing what I am trying to say just try out the "auto-place.ulp" in Eagle. No software is written yet to replace human brain :)

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks a lot guys.Plenty replies.So I planned to work with EAGLE lite edition.
I have Express PCB too but I didn't try yet.

Its Express PC, lol. I guess I will horse around with Eagle a bit more and see. I tried the board command but nothing happens, just a blank board appears?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back