Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does this mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

**broken link removed**

What does this little symbol mean? I asked my geometry teacher, who also teaches algebra III, and she explained it to me as if it were a FOR:NEXT statement.

She said the variable went on the bottom with its equality(n=1), and the max value on the top(100). So, that would mean 1to100.

BUT

As i was surfing the net, i found that it means "the sum of".

Who is right? I really want to know.

Both are correct.

The symbol is the Greek letter Sigma (Upper Case version), and it is used in mathemetics to say "the sum of"

As regards the FOR:NEXT connection, what is happening here, the value of the statement following the symbol is calculated when the variable n is equal to 1, 2, 3,....99, 100 and then all the answers are added together.

I hope this makes sense.

JimB

Yep. Makes sense. Thanks. I will bug my teacher some more tomorrow. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back