Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Washing machine with CESET Induction Motor (brushless) - wiring advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there I have a Hotpoint Washer fitted with a super silent Induction motor. The label on the motor is: C.E.SET CIM 2/55-132/AD6 195 V - 3.7 A - 800 W - 290 Hz - 17000 RPM

There s a couple of things I would like to know - is this motor 3phase or single phase?, is it an AC or DC motor and how can I tell? - does anyone know where these motors are made or how to contact the company who makes them?

Now to the main question, in the washing machine this Induction motor turns clockwise on its final spin, but the drum inside the machine does its final spin anti-clockwise when viewing the washing machine front on.

The motor has 5 wires in total going to its block connector. 2 thin reds (they go to the taco and thats for balancing the washing and motor control I know that much) then there are 3 black wires above the red tacho - if I were to swap the 2 outer black wires would this reverse the motor so that when it final spins the motor spindle will travel anticlockwise but the drum will final spin clockwise (as in what all the older washing machines used to do in the past)?

If I swapped the 2 outer wires like that could I cause damage to motor and or motor control unit/electronics of the washing machine?

Thanks for any help/info technical advice.

Its an ac motor, for 2 reasons the rating plate says 290hz, and the other is that its an induction motor.
It sounds like you want to connect the motor direct to the mains, 2 things to look out for, the motor is rated at 195v, might not be a problem for short periods however the motor will run slower at 3000rpm (which I spose could still be usefull).
The motor probably has 2 windings start and run, 2 of the wires are probably joined inetrnally start and run winding common, however being an electronically controlled application it might be an odd ball setup.
You'll also depending on the design of the motor need a start capacitor to create the phase shift (shaded pole motors dont have a start cap), unless you just want something that you start with a flick.

You can't run a motor rated for 195 V and 290 Hz on 240 V 50 Hz. You need to reduce the voltage in proportion to the reduction in frequency. If you can accept 3000 rpm, 50 Hz is fine, but the voltage should be around 50/290 * 195 = 33.6 V

That will give approximately the same magnetic flux as there is when the motor is running at 195 V and 290 Hz. If you don't keep the voltage down, the magnetic field will saturate. When it does that, there will be no back voltage to oppose the supply, and the motor will take a huge current. If that continues for more than a second or so, the windings will burn out.

In
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable-frequency_drive

it says:-
In variable-torque applications suited for Volts per Hertz (V/Hz) drive control, AC motor characteristics require that the voltage magnitude of the inverter's output to the motor be adjusted to match the required load torque in a linear V/Hz relationship.

This graph shows the relationship.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AF_Drive_V_Hz_Etc.png

My guess is that the motor would be driven by an inverter putting out 195V at a variable frequency (for speed control) with a max frequency of 290Hz. The fact that all 3 power leads are the same colour suggests to me it's a 3-phase motor, and that swapping any 2 would reverse the motor. But of course this is all guesswork :D
BTW, why does the direction of the final spin matter to you?

Last edited:
Yes it could be a 3 phase motor, measure the resistance between the 3 wires, if they are all the same then its a 3 phase.
You can run smaller 3 phase motors on single phase with a capacitor I've done it a few times, however wiith your situation and after whats been said I think this motor isnt going to be a lot of use to you, its been designed to run with the inverter in the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back