Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help wiring a single phase motor

stuwindsurf

Hi, I'm hoping someone can tell me which terminal I need to connect live to and which terminal to connect neutral to from the switch on my bandsaw motor. It is a single phase motor with one capacitor. Stupidly I didn't take a picture of the wiring before I disconnected it.

The brown and blue wire are from the capacitor.

Thanks in advance!
20240118_185514.jpg

Normally in the UK and Europe the Brown is Hot and the Blue is Neutral. Yellow with the green pinstripe is obviously Ground. Dis the cover plate you removed have a wiring diagram glued to it? Normally the power box has a wiring diagram or the motor name plate.

There are also Start Capacitors and Run Capacitors. Do you know what you have?

Ron

Normally in the UK and Europe the Brown is Hot and the Blue is Neutral. Yellow with the green pinstripe is obviously Ground. Dis the cover plate you removed have a wiring diagram glued to it? Normally the power box has a wiring diagram or the motor name plate.

There are also Start Capacitors and Run Capacitors. Do you know what you have?

Ron
Thanks for your reply Ron, I have sussed it now as I had actually taken a picture of how it was wired before

main-qimg-9aefba68b722b92a75e22945199388c2

This shows the circuit that I think you have.

The two windings are at different angles around the stator. Most small motors will have the two windings constructed identically, which makes reversing the motor easier.

In the diagram, the one labelled "main" will take more current when running forward, and the one labelled "auxiliary" will take more when running in reverse if the circuit shown is used. There are more complicated circuits that would reverse a motor will always leaving the capacitor in series with the auxiliary winding.

It is possible that the auxiliary winding could be made with thinner wire so that it should not be used all the time at full motor load, but that is unlikely. Anyhow, if you measure the two winding resistances and they are the same you can be fairly sure that you can reverse it by moving just one wire.

That (post#7) shows a typical PSC (permanent start cap) motor, these have identical windings so yes, each is capable of operating as start winding.
They generally only go up to around 1/2HP.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back