Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Want PIC16F84 Programmer....

Status
Not open for further replies.

hantto

Hi!
As i said i'm searching for a simple little PIC16F84 Programmer. If you kow any that is easy enough to build or else is a good choise so please tell me :)

Thx!

Have a look at this circuit. Very easy to build using handfull of components.
**broken link removed**

You can also have a look at other programmer schematics on same site i/e. https://www.olimex.com. I suggested you the above design because it is very easy to build. But it has some disadvantages.
1) It is powerd from serial port, so you have to remove the serial cable every time you want to program a new device otherwise there is a chance that you blow up your port.
2) You can't use single 40-pin ZIF socket instead of 4 strip-headers. This is beacause of the use of some common signals at different pins.

Otherwise, this circuit is ok for hobbyists. The other parallel port design is better than this one but more complex.

Well as i said i'm only searching for programer for PIC16F84, and i think that i won't be using it so often... So i will replace the 10pin connectros with a 18pin ic socket...

But when i looked at the other programmers i think that the PIC-PG1 would be more suitable for my needs, and it's even more simple to build.

Hi,
The connection is shown in the pic-pga1.pdf file. It does not have any socket but this programmer is meant for In-Circuit Programming. So you have to keep a separate programming connector which is pin compatible with this programmer on your project PCB.
The 16F84 requires 5 signals for programming ie. Vdd,Vss,Vpp,MCLR and Data I/O. Connect these signals from the programmer to the corresponding pins on PIC16F84. For better understanding of connection download 16F84's datasheet from www.microchip.com and see page number 53, Figure 8-20.

OK just cheking if i understood correctly.

The 1st pin on the programmer goes to the 4th pin on 16F84.
The 2nd pin on the programmer goes to the 14th pin on 16F84.
The 3rd pin on the programmer goes to the 5th pin on 16F84.
The 4th pin on the programmer goes to the 13th pin on 16F84.
The 5th pin on the programmer goes to the 12th pin on 16F84.
The 6th pin on the programmer goes to the 9th pin on 16F84.

The 6th pin on the programmer goes to the 9th pin on 16F84.
The 6th pin of programmer need not be connected to 16F84. It is meant for some other uCs. See Page 53, Figure 8-20 in the datasheet. Only 5 signals are required for programming.

hi,
if u r talking about programming.... :?:
need some help... :idea:
i have some old EPRoms : 2716(32, to 256) and i need a programmer for them, a simple serial circuit would do, and some software..... :shock:
A! and another thing, i know i need a UV light to erase them, but i can't find one....is there another way to erase them?
i am grateful for any info....
and some sites with more info on EPROMS :roll:

Here is one good EPROM Programmer.
**broken link removed**

Regarding erasure of EPROM, there is no other way than UV erasing.

Eprom Eraser on the cheap

Cheap and nasty ...
Try leaving the eprom on a sunny windowsill
It will take time (hours?) but sunlight contains UV and will eventually erase the eprom.
Glass filters UV out so direct sunlight is better.

mechie is right also. But what if you can't afford to leave it out for hours, and you need it right away. It would be costly to invest in a EEprom programer and eraser, but as with all things, it will eventually pay for itself. Maybe not in money, but time spent repairing products

No Mechie, its just not feasible to erase EPROMS in sunlight. Around 3 Years back I had read whole calculations about how many hours it take to erase an EPROM in sunlight, UV lamp and normal fluorescent lamp. The first calculations showed that it will take around One Year (oh! hell :shock:) to earse, UV lamp of 8W will take 15-20 Minutes and normal fluorescent will take about a week to erase. If possible I'll post that calculations here.
But for now do you think it is feasible to wait for 1 full year just to correct any mistake in programming?

Dear Thec,
I did not meant that people always code bugs but while developing a uC/uP based system the code does not go as you had thought of the very first time you execute it. Atleast I am not that lucky enough to get things work for very first time. :(
Everytime I start a new uC project, I have to download the code for than 100 times :( (may be I am exaggerating on that) to the Development Board till everything works fine.
If you are doing your development using EPROMS (as people used to do years back) just think how many years the development will take. 100 ??? :?: :wink:

thanks for all!!!
still i hope for other programmers, and maybe :?: someone could give me some advice in programming, i dont quite knok anything about it..
from what i know, an eprom can only store data, but can it process it like a pic?
i am openet to any suggestions of links and programmers..... :wink:

Chill out kinjalp and enjoy the irony!

Of course we code bugs, I'm just trying to loosen up the tention around here, you serious guys ;-)

Anyway, programming rocks so have fun!

Albert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back