Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Want PIC16F84 Programmer....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is link for good PIC programmer + software.

www.picallw.com

If u want to build ur own then download the software and in the help file u will find all schematic ,discription.

yoku said:
Here is link for good PIC programmer + software.

www.picallw.com

If u want to build ur own then download the software and in the help file u will find all schematic ,discription.

I'll second that. I just bought the PIC16Pro a week ago. Works like a charm.

kinjalgp said:
Have a look at this circuit. Very easy to build using handfull of components.
**broken link removed**

Can you help me on how to place and connect the IC sockets in this circuit (Olimex PIC PG2B Programmer)?

What are those SV1, SV2, SV3 and SV4? How are they placed in order in the PCB design?

Can you also give me some replacements for the ff:
T1 and T2 - BC846B
D2 - BZV55C5V1
D3 - BZV55C5V2

What are the ratings for these diodes D2 and D3?

Thank you so much!!!

SV1 - SV4 are actually parts of 40 pin IC socket. The left and right strips are separated and then soldered. This is a simpe trick to replace costly ZIF sockets. 4 strips r used so that it can accomodate both wide and narrow DIP ICs.

My transistor data book has no equivalent for BC846B. May be you should try and see if BC547/BC548 works or not.

The two diodes are 5.1V & 6.2V (correction in your no. it should be 6V2 at the end) zeners and you should find them in any electronics store. The power ratings are 250mW (I guess). Higher will also do. Even it won't have any problem with 250mW.

code patches

re: the conversation about erasing Eproms, Flash is certainly the way to go nowadays, but if you're still using UV-Eproms or OTPs, take a look at Brad Eckert's Tiny Open Firmware (TOF). It isn't suitable for micros like the 16F84, but can work with 8051, 68K and AVR systems with some external RAM available. A binding table in RAM allows code patches to be added on without erasing the prom. Configuration takes place during boot-up. Might be worth a look for some.

http://www.tinyboot.com/

http://www.tinyboot.com/TOFintro.PDF

kinjalgp said:
SV1 - SV4 are actually parts of 40 pin IC socket. The left and right strips are separated and then soldered. This is a simpe trick to replace costly ZIF sockets. 4 strips r used so that it can accomodate both wide and narrow DIP ICs.

My transistor data book has no equivalent for BC846B. May be you should try and see if BC547/BC548 works or not.

The two diodes are 5.1V & 6.2V (correction in your no. it should be 6V2 at the end) zeners and you should find them in any electronics store. The power ratings are 250mW (I guess). Higher will also do. Even it won't have any problem with 250mW.

So, referring to the schematic and the sample photo shown, SV1 is the top layer, followed by SV2, then SV3, and SV4?

And, thus, SV1 and SV4 makes the pair of sockets for a 40-pin IC. While for an 18-pin IC, it will use the inner SV layers SV2 and SV3. Am I right? (I'm just considering the dimensions for making the PCB)

Thanks!

kinjalgp said:
You can also have a look at other programmer schematics on same site i/e. https://www.olimex.com. I suggested you the above design because it is very easy to build. But it has some disadvantages.
1) It is powerd from serial port, so you have to remove the serial cable every time you want to program a new device otherwise there is a chance that you blow up your port.
2) You can't use single 40-pin ZIF socket instead of 4 strip-headers. This is beacause of the use of some common signals at different pins.

Otherwise, this circuit is ok for hobbyists. The other parallel port design is better than this one but more complex.

What so you mean it will blow up the serial port? :shock: I just got one in 4 days ago and I haven't used it, but I sure would like to know this bit of info.

Thanks

Since the circuit is powered from serial port, it remains active till your computer is on. So every-time you want to program a new chip, you have to first disconnect the circuit from computer in order to save your Serial Port / uC's life. Its not that it will always blow up something but there are chances of such thing happening. This is just for safety.

Confused

kinjalgp said:
Since the circuit is powered from serial port, it remains active till your computer is on. So every-time you want to program a new chip, you have to first disconnect the circuit from computer in order to save your Serial Port / uC's life.

I'm not following exactly. To program the new chip, it has to be connected to the serial port. You mean disconnect it as soon as its programmed?

You cannot insert a device into the programmer when Vcc on the programmer is active. It can cause damage to the chip. To turn-off Vcc, you need to disconnect programmer from serial port. I hope I am making myself clear this time :wink:

Crystal Clear

Thank you ... now I understand. I appreciate you clarifying that for me.

-Brian

Getting back to erasing UV Eproms , I have just aquired about 30 units , could I not just go to my local tanning salon and buy 15 min in a tanning bed for these things for 5 bucks , seems to me the intense UV would probably be enough

Hi! I have built this programmer: https://www.olimex.com/dev/pic-pg1.html .
And it isn't work. when the program(icprog, ponyprog) verify the data i get the following error: Verifiy failed at address 000h! (icprog), Write failed! (ponyprog). I have checked the circuit 4 times. I tried under winxp win98 and
under linux (debian sid). I want to program pic16f84a-20/p.
I don't know this programmer works with it or not :(

Beni said:
And it isn't work. when the program(icprog, ponyprog) verify the data i get the following error: Verifiy failed at address 000h! (icprog), Write failed! (ponyprog). I have checked the circuit 4 times. I tried under winxp win98 and

I am just about to start building one too, so I will be interested if you can get yours going...!
Mark K

MarkK said:
Beni said:

I am just about to start building one too, so I will be interested if you can get yours going...!
Mark K

Actually, I have decided against it. All the RS232 powered programmers are too hit or miss. The chances are that they won't work with laptops.
I'm doing this one by dB:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2003/10/dB_Programmer100PDF.pdf
Mark K.

can u help me guys. im looking for a matrix display project using pic16f84 ic or links if u have...plz plz plz i rily nid it badly....

learning ASSAMBLER

I want to learn PIC ASSAMBLER ,instructiones to program a PIC 16f84,enything about programming a PIC

PLS give me a web page address about PIC ASSAMBLER learning, where is free :)

10X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back