Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage to Current Loop Converter recommendation needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahdavewest751

Hello, Can anyone recommend a simple Voltage to Current Loop Converter to take a DC voltage and output a current between 4-20mA?

I have tried everywhere but I cant find anything.

You don't mention the voltage to convert to a 4-20 mA loop?

Ron

I have a 4 strain gauge bridge circuit AC output voltage that has been amplified by a 3 op-amp inst amplifier and converted to a DC voltage of 1 volt. I want to take this and convert to a current for data logging.

Most data loggers accept a voltage input? Anyway a voltage to current conversion is pretty easy and common. Also so you come off a strain gaiuge, amplified and I assume 0 to 1 volt equal your strain? The op amp circuit linked to is the start of a common design. Keep in mind if the op amp chosen can't source 20 mA you need to drive a transistor with it.

Ron

Thing is I dont know the typical changes in resistance so I randomly altered the gauge resistances on the simulation. I dont really know much about this stuff and Im not really sure what to expect at the output. Should there be only a current at the output or will there be a voltage as well?

I also found:

**broken link removed**

but Im not sure what the wires are for going through the center of the 1st op-amp.

When you do a voltage to current conversion circuit the output is current. Typically this signal (let's say 4 to 20 mA) is passed to a data logger. Most data loggers have a voltage input, however, for those designed for a current input the input resistance is low like either 250 or 500 ohms. This results in an actual voltage input of 1 to 5 or 2 to 10 volts. So when you look at the circuit and see Rl or Rload or load that is the actual input to the data logger and not a circuit component.

In the circuit you posted the first op amp is just a buffer but allows an offset adjust. The first op amp has a unity gain of 1 so Vin = Vout. If Vin were shorted to ground then the 20K offset pot would be adjusted for 0 Volts out of the first op amp. The second op amp serves as the current source driving the mosfet. If I have time later I might be able to put it together in a simulation. Just a tad busy right now.

Ron

You may also want to look at the AD694 as a solution. There are several ways to go about it.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back