Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UV detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

mogz

Gday
im from a uni in australia and we have to build a uv detector that will determine how much sunburn you will get from the light outside.
we have the fundamental electric circuit going however i am having trouble finding UV photodiodes (or UV Light dependant resistors).. does anybody know where we can find relatively cheap detectors? (under $50)
or has anybody had any experience with filtering things and used a filter to only allow through a certain wavelength spectrum? this is the 2nd way we are thinking of tackling the problem but i cannot find small enough filters that allow through say 200nm to 400nm..
anybody got any ideas about where i could find things like these? (preferable in australia, but overseas would be ok)
thanks
regards
mogz

Hallo Mogz,
we can offer SiC-detectors (responsible from 200 ... 400nm only), there are filtered versions available too. We also offer special erythema adopted versions for measuring sunburn effective part of sunlight.
Please contact me directly under p.eisenhardt@ifw-jena.de for more detailed information 8data sheets, prices etc.)

Filters ?

Would it be feasable to use a phtographic UV stop filter?
If you have two identical sensors, both capable of reaching up into UV wavelengths (full - spectrum)
and one has a cheap camera UV stop or 'Daylight' filter then the difference in the two signals
must be due to UV reacing the unfiltered sensor ...
A filter rotating in and out of the lightpath to a single sensor would (might)
produce a squarewave whose amplitude would be proportional to the UV strength :?:

The theory is sound - used in all sorts of analysers - I service NOx analysers with half-a-dozen such filters whizzing around inside (though the light source is IR and we measure absorption by the various gases).

I just did some research for a UV chromatography detector. Silicon photodiodes are the ones you want. These are very inexpensive (<$5 USD), and the typical range is from 250 to 1100nm. As IFW mentioned, there are filtered silicon photodiodes which have a narrower bandwidth. It sounds like they have something to offer, but also check out these other manufacturers for competitive pricing:

https://www.hamamatsu.com/
**broken link removed**

If you want a standard photodiode and a separate filter, the ones used in chromatography and spectroscopy can get rather expensive. So, I would stick with filtered photodiodes unless you can find a cheap filter.

Also, for the electronics interface, check out this tutorial by Analog Devices:

**broken link removed**

Hi
im from the philippines and im currently in high school. my thesis is about a visual-blind uv detector. does anyone know where i can buy visual-blind photodiodes??

if anyone can help thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back