Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

User names

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. When my previous marriage was on the rocks my self-esteem took a major hit, and to console myself I did a lot of online "IQ tests" (ha ha) and did quite well. So I signed up when Mensa was doing the official tests locally, and did even better.

Problem was, I didn't feel as smart as the numbers seemed to say I should be. Then I realized that there's a huge difference between Intelligent and Smart. Not all Intelligent people are all that Smart, and many people who wouldn't score that high on IQ tests are very Smart indeed.

I'd trade 20 or 30 IQ points for some common sense any day. If I'm a genius (hahahahahahHAHAHAouch) then I'm one of those absent-minded ones who goes to work with mismatched shoes or who forgets to shave half his face one day. My workshop looks like I blew something up (I did, but not recently) and in conversation, I just never seem to have the quick wit or handy zingers that everyone else does. And at the times I most need my brain to work I can wind up staring at a pretty rock for 20 minutes and not know it.

What is IQ? It's whatever the test measures. In my case I guess I just happen to be good at speed tests concerning which side of the line the dot will be on in Figure E. ;) How this helps me cope with real life, I'll never know.

Torben

How many Intelligence's are there ?

One of our Sociology professors said that there are actually 9 intelligence factors to calculate.

These I can't recall all of them but one is Physical Muscle Memory and Michael Jordan was used as an example as one of the people to study. His reflexes and ability's seem to be fine tuned.

Once programmed he will let it work for him not he it. No planning it's there at the ready.

kv

Edit: I found this on the Web sounds similar to his.

HOWARD GARDNER'S NINE MULTIPLE INTELLIGENCES:

1. Linguistic Intelligence: the capacity to use language to express what's on your mind and to understand other people. Any kind of writer, orator, speaker, lawyer, or other person for whom language is an important stock in trade has great linguistic intelligence.

2. Logical/Mathematical Intelligence: the capacity to understand the underlying principles of some kind of causal system, the way a scientist or a logician does; or to manipulate numbers, quantities, and operations, the way a mathematician does.

3. Musical Rhythmic Intelligence: the capacity to think in music; to be able to hear patterns, recognize them, and perhaps manipulate them. People who have strong musical intelligence don't just remember music easily, they can't get it out of their minds, it's so omnipresent.

4. Bodily/Kinesthetic Intelligence: the capacity to use your whole body or parts of your body (your hands, your fingers, your arms) to solve a problem, make something, or put on some kind of production. The most evident examples are people in athletics or the performing arts, particularly dancing or acting.

5. Spatial Intelligence: the ability to represent the spatial world internally in your mind -- the way a sailor or airplane pilot navigates the large spatial world, or the way a chess player or sculptor represents a more circumscribed spatial world. Spatial intelligence can be used in the arts or in the sciences.

6. Naturalist Intelligence: the ability to discriminate among living things (plants, animals) and sensitivity to other features of the natural world (clouds, rock configurations). This ability was clearly of value in our evolutionary past as hunters, gatherers, and farmers; it continues to be central in such roles as botanist or chef.

7. Intrapersonal Intelligence: having an understanding of yourself; knowing who you are, what you can do, what you want to do, how you react to things, which things to avoid, and which things to gravitate toward. We are drawn to people who have a good understanding of themselves. They tend to know what they can and can't do, and to know where to go if they need help.

8. Interpersonal Intelligence: the ability to understand other people. It's an ability we all need, but is especially important for teachers, clinicians, salespersons, or politicians -- anybody who deals with other people.

9. Existential Intelligence: the ability and proclivity to pose (and ponder) questions about life, death, and ultimate realities.

Last edited:
IQ testing on kids doesn't work. They're still developing, social pressures are more important. Raise a well balanced kid and 'dumb' or 'genius' they'll turn out just fine.
I avoid Mensa like the plague, bunch of back scratching ego hunters for the most part.

Most basic IQ tests are about pattern recognition, mathematical, geometric, even linguistic and spatial. There are MANY forms of IQ measurement. Like kilovolt was saying.

I avoid Mensa like the plague, bunch of back scratching ego hunters for the most part.

Hahaha Same here, I checked out a local mensa club meeting when I was in college. What a disapointment that was!

Tons of IQ but no practical skills, and very little common sense or personality!

First big question I got was what is my IQ? I said I dont know but it was 146in 7th grade, So its probbibly even higher now! :D
(well I thought It would be funny!) :(
No one else did.

Most were the type that if they could not find something to be absolutey perfect in theoretical design then its simply impossible to do!
(I think we may have a few of them as regulars on this website right now!):D

Last edited:
Yeah, that's the typical impression I've gotten from high IQ societies tcmtech, buncha stuffy good for nothings =) Although there always a few exceptions. I just always found it abhorant the level of entitlement that most people with a high IQ feel. Mind you I get bad ego trips sometimes, but I do try to control them =) I'm not so good on the practical front myself. More of an engineer mentality, but not much application.

Last edited:

Yup. . .just to be clear, I only took the test. Never had any intention of joining. I spent a while digging around about them and it just seemed to be a kind of elitist club (which it is). And of course there would always be another, even more elitist club, of even higher-scoring people--so what's the point? :)

Most basic IQ tests are about pattern recognition, mathematical, geometric, even linguistic and spatial. There are MANY forms of IQ measurement. Like kilovolt was saying.

Yup. A lot of the online ones are verbal/linguistic with others predominantly visual/spacial. The "official" one I took was the Binet Culture-fair test, intended to have no cultural bias. A lot of the non-culture fair ones will penalize the testee for a lack of knowledge which would be presumed in one culture but perhaps not in others.

Torben

High IQ society - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I was thinking about taking the Mega test, but the cutoff is so high I was always afraid of not making it and honestly I think it's all bunk in the first place. Some of these groups make the 'average' Mensa member look like the village idiot. There are full blown normalization studies for a few of the tests because once you get above about 98% testing conditions affect the outcome. Something about these kinds of groups and tests though call out to pretty much any male, even the most altruistic geek goes (I wonder what I'd score)

Last edited:
Is there a common sense test?
If not there should be one!
And make it an annual requirement! I would happily allow a few more dollars to be taken out of my paychecks to have that funded!

Score it on a scale of 0 to 100

95 or less: You can’t have any type of leadership or group responsibility job.
90 or less: You can’t have any basic management job.
85 or less: You can’t have more than a grunt workers job.
80 or less: No motor vehicle or heavy equipment operation, Bicycle or public transportation only.
75 or less: No health insurance coverage. Insuring you is just a burden on the higher level people.
70 or less: Public housing only. NO home ownership. AND no computer access.
65 or less: No bicycle or public transportation. You’re just a clueless nuisance to regular public at this level.
60 or less: No pets. Animals have more common sense than you at this point.
55 or less: Ward of the state. You are unfit to be out in public unassisted or without supervision.
50 or less: Institutionalized. Your unfit to be anywhere in public for any reason.
30 or less: Death by lethal injection. You are unfit to even live and are a total unrecoverable burden on society.
10 or less: The tester is authorized to shoot you onsite. Your movements alone are a danger to everyone around you.

Last edited:
well rob 'cos my name is Robbie and X1R was the model of my first car the nissan pulsar X1R

Last edited:
Is there a common sense test?
If not there should be one!
And make it an annual requirement! I would happily allow a few more dollars to be taken out of my paychecks to have that funded!

Score it on a scale of 0 to 100

95 or less: You can’t have any type of leadership or group responsibility job.
90 or less: You can’t have any basic management job.
85 or less: You can’t have more than a grunt workers job.
80 or less: No motor vehicle or heavy equipment operation, Bicycle or public transportation only.
75 or less: No health insurance coverage. Insuring you is just a burden on the higher level people.
70 or less: Public housing only. NO home ownership. AND no computer access.
65 or less: No bicycle or public transportation. You’re just a clueless nuisance to regular public at this level.
60 or less: No pets. Animals have more common sense than you at this point.
55 or less: Ward of the state. You are unfit to be out in public unassisted or without supervision.
50 or less: Institutionalized. Your unfit to be anywhere in public for any reason.
30 or less: Death by lethal injection. You are unfit to even live and are a total unrecoverable burden on society.
10 or less: The tester is authorized to shoot you onsite. Your movements alone are a danger to everyone around you.

5 or less: You might get fired from your job managing AIG.

*ducks*

Torben

Torben, the sad thing is you said "might" Because there's a chance they might let them off with a warning =O

So your not "Cool Aid" man? :( :( :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back