Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Copied Username?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewGuy

Hello ETO,
I was on chat, and someone asked me "hey did you create an account on allaboutcircuits.com about a month ago?". When he asked this I was quite confused because I've never ventured outside ETO (I love this community) so I've never bothered to register on other websites. I looked over at allaboutcircuits.com and someone registered an account with the EXACTLY the same name. Same upper and lower case!!

I'm really angry! How lame are you that you can't even come up with your own name?!??!

:mad:

What you guys think?

Here is the fake "TheNewGuy":
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/member.php?u=184721

It may not have been copied on purpose. Everybody's a "new guy" at some point, and capitalizing the first letters of each word is a common way to write usernames. While yours may have been copied, I'm just saying perhaps it's best not to jump to conclusions. See if you can get more facts first. It very well may have been an innocent choice of username.

Regards,
Matt

Hi Guys

Someone is welcome to copy my username on another Forum....but then they must walk the talk. And have my crazy personality too. Otherwise people will know it's not the same person and end of problem.

I was extremely lucky that tvtech had not been taken when I joined here in 2010. And if no members mind....I plan to stay awhile.

Enjoyed every moment of my time here. There are so many people that know accurate stuff. So much knowledge available here that the mind boggles. That is why I unconditionally praise ETO. Wherever I can.

Because ETO and the Mods and the Members are a Team. You know I am Waffling on.....I cannot really explain it.

ETO is something special. Cannot describe it. Different to other Electronic Forums out there.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
First come first served.

If you want to be TheNewGuy all over the interwebs, I suggest that you spend the next 10 years searching out all possible discussion boards and registering as TheNewGuy.

After that, at some point, someone will pipe up on some random board, lets say Ferret-Keeping-Online, that some usurper on another board, lets call it AllAboutFerrets, is calling himself TheNewGuy!

JimB
(One of many JimBs to be found on the interweb computer thingy).

I'm really angry! How lame are you that you can't even come up with your own name?!??!

What you guys think?

I think you're pretty crazy to make a fuss over nothing :D - you pick an obvious user name, with obvious capitalisation - have you considered that YOUR choice of that name was already 'copying' numerous other people world wide?.

Maybe you should ask the Mods to let you change it to, The1stNewGuy. There would be no confusion.

Either that or put something in your Signature, like ( I'm the First TheNewGuy and I don't have any accounts with that name on other sites)

kv

I think I tried a couple of usernames before finding a free one when I registered to this forum. MisterT is not exactly super creative either. I used to have irc-nickname MrT.. I was happy to get that one before anybody else, but I don't use irc anymore.

I googled http://lmgtfy.com/?q="TheNewGuy" and this is the tip of the iceberg:

Facebook account,
Tumbler account,
a twitter channel,
instagram account,
SAS community (what ever that is),
flickr account,
github user,
A movie from Sony pictures called "The New Guy",
Youtube account.. and hundreds more..
are those all you? Is this your personal webpage: http://www.thenewguy.net/ or this: http://www.thenewguy.com/

Last edited:
Leibnitz or Newton?

Extending the concept of uniqueness to a nickname is way too much. :p :p

Life's too short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back