Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Uk electrical sockets in bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Here in aus, sockets in bathrooms are completely normal. I think when the UK got electrickery it was new and killed people so no to in bathrooms. Rest of world, much later so bathrooms OK. With modern breakers it's pretty safe. They (Aussies) even have sockets outside in the rain!!!!

Mike.

We have sockets outside, not an issue - but sockets in bathrooms a big no no!.

How many people in American TV programmes get murdered by hairdryers in the bath?, doesn't happen in TV programmes over here :D

How many people in American TV programmes get murdered by hairdryers in the bath?, doesn't happen in TV programmes over here :D

So, using that same line of logic, I could say, "how many British authors write about dragons torching people? American authors don't write about dragons killing people. See America is safer!"

how many British authors write about dragons torching people?
Dunno. My avatar dragon is a friendly one, so doesn't go around torching people :) .

Dunno. My avatar dragon is a friendly one, so doesn't go around torching people :) .

So you see the stupidity in Nigels comment - your dragon is as safe as the GFCI-protected outlets in our bathrooms.

I'm really surprised that regulators in the U.K. base their code writing on American TV dramas.

So you see the stupidity in Nigels comment - your dragon is as safe as the GFCI-protected outlets in our bathrooms.

I'm really surprised that regulators in the U.K. base their code writing on American TV dramas.
I know I shouldn't post this as it definitely isn't a funny image... 110vac is less likely to kill than 220vac We are allowed shaver sockets.. at 110vac so the law is the same..

Not really, as it's transformer isolated and very low power.
Moved to new thread

The law states.... 240vac is okay when at least 3M away from bath and faucet... Shaver socket at 110vac is allowed.. Most bathrooms in UK are too small so they do not qualify.. The shaver socket here has to be though a transformer as we cant use live to ground like in the US..
Funny bit is.... part fill the bath with water and touch the light fitting.... That wasn't thought through .. Even if the bath and light fitting are earthed properly..

Last edited:
This is my bathroom here in Australia. Yes, we're on 230V.
20200527_204930.jpg

Note the proximity of the sink!!!
I think this is a recent (20 years ago) change to the code due to ELCBs.
Must say I was shocked when I first encountered it but have not heard of any problems whatsoever.

Mike.

This picture is of my girlfriend’s bathroom when this subject came up here years ago.

Bathroom outlets.jpg

Last edited:
In NA outlets in bathrooms, also Kitchens, if within 6ft of a sink or water source etc, must have a GFI outlet fitted.
Max..

Most movies I remember always used toasters and this took some effort of retrieving the toaster from kitchen and then plugging it in before dropping. I think with this much effort its just as easy to grab an extension cord while your grabbing the toaster so how is it any safer if the socket is on the outside? I think I better contact your government and inform them of this danger so they can bin all outlets and keep you guys safe!

Most movies I remember always used toasters

Nah !
James Bond .. beginning of ' Goldfinger ' he knocks an electric heater into a bath to deny a villain the opportunity to shoot ! A remedy he uses in similar fashion later in the film to dispose of 'OddJob' .. .. .. .. . and his one liner ? 'Shocking !'

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back