Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UBW blues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vizier87

If you built your own UBW, you need to put the bootloader and firmware HEX files on your UBW first before you can proceed. See this page for help. If you bought your UBW, just proceed to step 1.

From the UBW page.
So I've built the UBW (only the USB connections, no LEDs or other stuff yet), but the so-called hex files which which needed to be loaded into the PIC beforehand is not there. The part where it says See this page for help doesn't have a hyperlink.

Anyone?
Vizier87

Attachments

• Image0311.jpg
    Image0311.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 174
Near the end of the page you'll find the bootloader files
06122009_120225-jpg.36063

You need the reset and programming pushbuttons on your prototype to download, later, "firmare D" and the control UBW pins with serial commands.

Attachments

• 06122009_120225.jpg
    06122009_120225.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 361
You need the reset and programming pushbuttons on your prototype to download, later, "firmare D" and the control UBW pins with serial commands.

Please elaborate the one above.

While I'm digging into this, I've got a question:
The data I get from the registers are to be processed with mathematical models (way over PICs to process), so the MCHPFUSB allows this, right?

Cheers.

Please elaborate the one above.

While I'm digging into this, I've got a question:
The data I get from the registers are to be processed with mathematical models (way over PICs to process), so the MCHPFUSB allows this, right?

I'm not very sure what you mean?, but if you're wanting to do complicated maths at a high rate of speed, then simply transfer the raw data to the PC, and do the maths there.

BTW, I agree with you about finding the HEX files for the UBW, it's really badly laid out and VERY difficult to find the files you want. Once you've found it, or it's been pointed out, it's fairly obvious - but it's not intuitive at all.

I'm not very sure what you mean?, but if you're wanting to do complicated maths at a high rate of speed, then simply transfer the raw data to the PC, and do the maths there.

I see. So Microchip's software handles everything, including maths and the development of GUI to display values after computations, does it?

BTW, I agree with you about finding the HEX files for the UBW, it's really badly laid out and VERY difficult to find the files you want. Once you've found it, or it's been pointed out, it's fairly obvious - but it's not intuitive at all.

I WAS afraid to ask the question, but I've got no choice. The itty-bitty parts drive me crazy.

Last edited:
The UBW allows you to use a micro controller without knowing how to program one. But you still have to know how to program a PC.

I see. So Microchip's software handles everything, including maths and the development of GUI to display values after computations, does it?

The UBW (microchip PIC) understands commands to collect data or output bits. A program on the PC tells the UBW what to do and when.

The UBW communicates with the PC over USB via a virtual COM port.

UBW comes with demo software for the PC but in most cases people need to write their own using any language the runs on the PC.

3v0

Last edited:
Use "Processing" for a free language that is easy to interface to uC's including the bitwacker. Processing is very common in the Arduino world.

Processing isn't really a language, it's just some nice window dressing and very useful libraries for Java, that being said it's absolutely fantastic =) Portable too because it'll run on any machine that has a Java VM.
I'm not much for the raw performance of Java but it has a lot going for it.

Last edited:
The UBW (microchip PIC) understands commands to collect data or output bits. A program on the PC tells the UBW what to do and when.

The UBW communicates with the PC over USB via a virtual COM port.

UBW comes with demo software for the PC but in most cases people need to write their own using any language the runs on the PC.
3v0

You're the man, Trivio :p.... Anyway my plan is to process the data from 8-10 registers to triangulate some weather data.. and display it using MATLAB GUI.

Thanks for the replies, guys, just woken up.. I'm gonna play with my UBW.

There's a hitch here.. I loaded the hex files into my 2550 using PICkit 2: But after verifying it, it said "verification of program memory failed at address 0x00000.

The PICkit hardware detected it nicely though. Is it damaged?

Double check you connections. Do you have anything else connected to MCLR?

Mike.

During programming MCLR should have a diode+resistor from Vdd to ensure Vdd does not see 12V. Your 10k resistor should be enough to prevent Vdd becoming too high or Vpp too low but that depends on the programmer.

The only reason I asked was because it sounds like the chip is not getting into programming mode which is usually inadequate Vpp - 12V.

Mike.

To program a pic the programmer has to put 12V on MCLR. Most USB programmers have some kind of DC to DC converter to achieve this.

You can't substitute, it has to be a 2550.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back