Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UBW blues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I browsed the help files for PICkit, and it said about code protection and that we need to do something about the Configuration Word

From Pickit guide:
The PICkit™ 2 Microcontroller Programmer will warn the user if the hex file does not contain any Configuration Words. The user can be sure these are included in the hex file by selecting File > Export and saving the hex file in MPLAB® IDE.

Let's assume that the HEX file has been loaded and that we can't verify it coz it's protected. Let's start with my UBW again. So how should I start to see that the PC indeed detects the UBW?

4) Point windows to the C:\MCHPFSUSB\fw\Cdc\inf\win2k_xp_vista32_64 directory.
5) Let it install the INF file it finds there

Huh? I mean, the UBW page isn't indicative enough. How do I "point" windows to detect it? How does it install the INF file?

There's a hitch here.. I loaded the hex files into my 2550 using PICkit 2: But after verifying it, it said "verification of program memory failed at address 0x00000.

The PICkit hardware detected it nicely though. Is it damaged?

If I remember correctly, that's the error I got when I forgot to change the target in MPLAB. Perhaps you forgot to change the target to the 2550 from the 876.

It has nothing to do with the hex. MPLAB communicates with the programmer, facilitating proper programming of the PIC. Just try it.

Huh? I mean, the UBW page isn't indicative enough. How do I "point" windows to detect it? How does it install the INF file?

Go to the control panel and install new hardware (after plugging in the device). When it wants to know where to get the driver direct it to that file via the browser.

MPLAB needs to know what device you are trying to program. If you tried to program the 2550 while MPLAB thinks your trying to program the 876, you will get errors such as you have. Before programming the chip, you need to select the correct target device. Have you done this?

1. I'm actually using only the main board of an 876, which has the ICSP connections. The program which I used comes from the bootloader files downloaded from the UBW page.
In the bootloader folder which I downloaded, there are ready made hex files, amid some workspace files for 2550s.
I imported these hex files into PICkit, and burned them into my 2550, and hence the problem on verification.

So in short, no I didn't change the program since there are ready-made hex files specifically for 2550 UBWs for me to burn.

I discovered this from the UBW page:
the boot-block (0x0000 to 0x07FF) is protected in the config bits so that you can't accidentally overwrite it while using the USB bootloader
might be the explanation.

You might wanna see the files:
https://www.schmalzhaus.com/UBW/FW/B/B.zip

2. I opened control panel, clicked add hardware, but it asked for me to select an installed hardware device. I can't direct it to C:\MCHPFSUSB\fw\Cdc\inf\win2k_xp_vista32_64 .....since the list forced me to choose from it. How 'bout that? Now this is the part which needs attention. Thanks for bearing with me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back