Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Two mono outputs from one srereo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Utterchaos23

Hey guys ... I have just put a couple of spekers around my house, to get background music from a cheap stereo. Trouble is that although I'm not be that concurned with quality ( I have a proper stereo in the lounge ) it's really anoying when I'm listening to stereo dependent music ... 'cos I only get half of it in the bedroom and the otyher half in the kitchen. ... is there a simple way of mixing the chanels together to get two monos instead ?

Thanks

James

I would expect any radio (even cheap ones) to have a choice between FM and FM stereo, just because sometimes when you have bad reception in FM, turning to mono helps...

I cant imagine a efficient way to mix 2 channels at that level, it's easy enough at preamp level...

You probably need two speakers in each room so that each will have stereo. Paralleling speakers will probably over-power the amplifier. You probably need a separate volume control in each room.

A solution will be to use stereo auto-transformer volume controls available for your application in AV shops. With their volume turned down slightly, the amplifier will not be overloaded by having two speakers conected to each channel. :lol:

a D at A level physics

The stereo is an Hitachi AM68d .. and hasn't got a " normal " volume control ... ( it's the type that'll go round and round forever ) ... surely there's a way of using risisters and diods that'll stop the amp from being overloaded ? .. only I got a D at A level physics and can't remember how !! .. thanks :D

Re: a D at A level physics

Utterchaos23 said:
The stereo is an Hitachi AM68d .. and hasn't got a " normal " volume control ... ( it's the type that'll go round and round forever ) ... surely there's a way of using risisters and diods that'll stop the amp from being overloaded ? .. only I got a D at A level physics and can't remember how !! .. thanks :D

As it's not got a conventional volume control it makes it far more difficult to find a place to make it mono - you really would need a circuit diagram, it's not something I could make suggests for otherwise.

As for 'overloading', I'm presuming you mean adding extra speakers?, the easiest way is to add the extra speakers in series with the old ones - this will reduce power, but prevent your amp blowing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back