Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam2

Got ahold of a 4 big transformers, I want to keep a couple for fun and tear a couple apart for the copper. While I hate to destroy good stuff, they are about 200( maybe half copper?) pounds each and I really could use the money for other projects.
What is the best way to separate the copper from the core , paper and varnish.

Thanks sam

Transformers more valuable as transformers than scrap. What are the specifications? Secondary winding voltages? VA?

Call Halted Electronics in the Bay area. They buy used electronics.

Last edited:
Cutting torch, paper and varnish empty 50 gal drum and lots of fuel burn it. But wait I don't like distroying things. (Do not breath in) Toxic:eek:

Except it's FOUR TWO-HUNDRED POUND things that needs to be shipped on Ebay.

o_O

Bob Scott said:
Transformers more valuable as transformers than scrap. What are the specifications? Secondary winding voltages? VA?

Call Halted Electronics in the Bay area. They buy used electronics.

Thanks Bob, I will call them.
I am not sure of the specs yet, though I did see 780VA on one of the AC outlets on the machine. I had to grab them quick before any one else, but I know they came from a couple of magna flux machines.
My little car was about bottomed out! There were alot of heavy copper bars for all the connections too. You can get almost $4.00 lb for scrap copper now.

Sam

sam2 said:
Thanks Bob, I will call them.
I am not sure of the specs yet, though I did see 780VA on one of the AC outlets on the machine.

A 750 VA transformer would only weigh about 50 pounds. (60 lbs in 50 Hz Europe, and not 'cause gravity is bigger there)

Last edited:
Wow , I didnt know you could tell the weight from the VA.
One is 205 lbs and one is 186 lbs.

LOL :D :D

Like those conversations

It would be cheaper to put it in a wagon and take it there himself. ($3.25 a Gal) I still remember it at (.17 cents)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back