Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

imperium2335

Hi,

I am planning on making my own cylindrical transformer.

The primary coil in the centre and then the secondary on wrapped around another tube (acrylic) that slides over the primary coil.

At some point I then plan on dropping in a cast iron core. The whole thing is 1 meter tall and both coils have a height of 80cm.

I will then fill the middle gap (between the primary coil and the inner side of the secondary coils tube) with mineral oil for more insulation.

I hope to be putting in 240v 60hz AC, and get out ~100KV.

I have a choice of using either typical round wire or rectangular wire for the primary. I have heard theories that the rectangular wire would be better because it has more surface area?

What are your thoughts and do you have any advice on any aspect of my project?

Cheers!

Tom.

Surface area won't matter much, unless you're going to operate at high frequency, and then there are better ways to increase it. Besides, square wire doen't have more serface area. I'd just go with ordinary magnetic wire.

A cast iron core will have high eddy current loss.

The advantage of square wire is that it packs more efficiently when wound in a tight coil (no wasted space between wires as you would get with round wires).

I wouldn't worry about that unless space is an absoute preimum. Millions of transformers are successfully wound using ordinary round wire. And forget about hand-winding square wire.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about that unless space is an absoute preimum. Millions of transformers are successfully wound using ordinary round wire. And forget about hand-winding square wire.
I agree. I should have added that observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back