Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Touch Lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crafty42

Ok, so I'm at it again, trying to fix a touch lamp in the house. It works only when plugged in, and used to be a touch lamp with 3 settings. Weird thing is that if I run my finger up and down the lamp, it feels like it's vibrating, making me think there's some kinda short or something with the sensor, but how can I check or what can I do to fix it?

Thanks!

Ok, I found some info on testing the TRIAC, but I need someone to dumb it down for me.

https://www.circuitstoday.com/how-to-test-a-triac

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/12/1012.pdf

Last edited:
Buy a new one.... It'll cost less than than the component replacement cost and time required.

Weird thing is that if I run my finger up and down the lamp, it feels like it's vibrating, making me think there's some kinda short or something with the sensor
Hmmm. Sounds like you might be getting a bit of a shock off of it. Be careful. Generally, on these touch lamps, the only thing standing between you and the AC mains voltage is a small pF capacitor. Not a repair I would recommend for a beginner. So if you are one, follow Sceadwian's advice.
Ok, I found some info on testing the TRIAC, but I need someone to dumb it down for me.
How to test a triac.
The circuit above, using 12Vdc, is a good simple test circuit. The explanation is a little off, but the idea is correct:
With S2 ON, momentarily pushing S1 should light the lamp and it should stay lit until S2 is turned OFF and the ON again. Not a 100% bullet proof test, but good enough for practical purposes.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Sounds like you might be getting a bit of a shock off of it. Be careful. Generally, on these touch lamps, the only thing standing between you and the AC mains voltage is a small pF capacitor. Not a repair I would recommend for a beginner. So if you are one, follow Sceadwian's advice.
How to test a triac.
The circuit above, using 12Vdc, is a good simple test circuit. The explanation is a little off, but the idea is correct:
With S2 ON, momentarily pushing S1 should light the lamp and it should stay lit until S2 is turned OFF and the ON again. Not a 100% bullet proof test, but good enough for practical purposes.

Thanks, I gave it a try and wasn't getting a reading (open circuit) on the first test, so I'm going to give a new TRIAC a try when I find where and time to get one. As for the shock...no, it's not a shock, but it certainly feels like some juice is running, just not enough to shock me. Easiest would be to just buy a new board already set up and just re-run the wiring to it, but I'll have to find where to get that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back