Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HELP! I need to trigger XENON lamp (w/ Hall Sensor?) to freeze rotating image at VARIABLE RPM's

SvenBaidenmann

I am trying to UPGRADE a SPIN ART machine I built that uses a strobe to view the artwork as it is being created.
The motor can rotate the turntable from very slow to very fast. Various speeds produces various results.
THE PROBLEM IS I need to find a way to flash the lamp ONCE per revolution and in the same orientation so that the image seems perfectly still at constantly changing RPM's. Now I'm dealing with "double exposures" and jumping images (different points in the rotation). IT IS better than no strobe at all.

A friend suggested a HALL SENSOR but that is much less of an issue.
THE REAL ISSUE that I just can't get past (because I'm not an electrical engineer) is finding a schematic of a RAPID fire XENON strobe that can easily be triggered as described. Everything I have found either has it's own speed control like disco strobes or is externally triggered but not rapid fire like photography strobes. I can build the thing from scratch if i had a schematic
Also... I need to end up with a good unit that is built to last. NOT a toy.

I am a "starving artist" trying to bring spin art up to a whole new and exciting level (for me at least). I have had art galleries interested in selling my work but I need to build my ultimate spin art machine first.

Is anyone willing to point me in the right direction? SBAIDENMANN@GMAIL.COM
IMG_3741.JPG

First off you need to give specifications - very slow and very fast are completely meaningless, and I'm extremely dubious you actually mean 'very fast'. However, xenon strobes are somewhat limited by how fast they can charge and fire, but are perfectly able to cope with the speed of a car engine for setting up ignition timing.

I've no idea what the situation is now, a lot of strobes for sale seem to be LED rather than Xenon - but certainly in the past Xenon strobes (for disco, bands etc.) commonly had external trigger inputs as well as timed flashing.

I have two xenon strobes (made by Pulsar I think?), and these both have external trigger inputs - the next model up included DMX control as well, but mine don't.

There are a number of different strobe models here:

If you can't find ones with external trigger inputs, then you could use a DMX controller to trigger a DMX version from your pulses.

Building your own is pretty easy, if you can get hold of the parts, and particularly a suitable reflector and xenon tube socket. You also need a suitable high voltage capacitor (able to with stand continual charging and discharging), plus a trigger transformer.

This is a typical circuit:

It would need manual triggering adding though.

Here's a (pretty poor scan) of a Pulsar strobe (probably similar to mine), which includes external triggering:

As Nigel has mentioned, the main energy storage capacitor has to be strobe-flash rated, if you plan to use it continuously. The repetitive, high current discharge pulses will cause regular electrolytic capacitors to overheat. Specifically at high repetition rates.

Last edited:

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back