Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Toner Transfer Papers

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the cracking is due to the toner flaking off of the toner transfer paper before you get it ironed onto the PCB, then you may find this to be a useful tip. I had this problem when using HP photo inkjet paper. Then I found that if I wipe the paper with a cloth dampened with methyl alcohol, it takes enough of the glaze off of the paper to make the toner stick much better. The paper doesn't look any different after doing this, but the toner sticks really well, and I've never had any more toner flaking issues since I've started doing this.

You don't need to get the paper really wet, and obviously you must let it dry before putting it through the printer.

3v0,
The only issue i find is in making boards with ground plane.
I get dotty pin holes ( not software issue.). For non ground plane pcb , whether large or small , it works fine. People are more used to Laminating machine that does uniform heat and pressure.
Things should be FINE, I suppose.
regards
saqrma
vu3zmv

I noticed slight cracking on a FR2 board about 5" to a side, worse when I did another slightly narrower but about 3" longer. It might be better with FR4. These are cracks in the transferred toner due to thermal expansion, and wrinkles due to it shrinking back again.

Last edited:
3v0,
The only issue i find is in making boards with ground plane.
I get dotty pin holes ( not software issue.). For non ground plane pcb , whether large or small , it works fine. People are more used to Laminating machine that does uniform heat and pressure.
Things should be FINE, I suppose.
regards
saqrma
vu3zmv
I have seen this too. Using a grid pattern for the ground plane fixed it for me.

I'm gradually working up to my first attempt at toner transfer. I don't think I've ever seen the "ordinary waxed paper" described. Will greaseproof paper or baking parchment do the job?

I never had any luck with waxed paper or coated masking paper. When using waxed paper, the print tends to also get terribly distorted when it runs through the fuser in the printer. Trying to make the toner stick to the board afterwards was basically futile, either because the wax has a lower melting point than the fusing temperature of the toner, or because the toner was contaminated by the wax -- or more likely both.

I've tried freezer paper and not had any real luck either.

At least with magazine paper, the release agent (starch) isn't activated by heat, so it doesn't migrate in the printer or the press.

DGM,
WELCOME to ETO,

Please check on ebay for yellow or white colored Toner transfer paper. I might have earlier said some wax coating. It is in fact Silicon film. heat doesn't trouble it. you might of course use parchment paper. I never had experience of such papers.

all the best
regards
sarma

I had to share this. I just saw a fabric crafting video in which she used "freezer paper" to transfer a laser printed design onto fabric. Works with inkjet too, apparently - ok if you have waterproof ink. Maybe freezer paper is the magic we've all be missing.

DGM I just saw your post #105. Sounds like the fuser in your printer might be running hot. Any chance you can try a different printer? My old Magicolor would print on anything!

Ok. I'm about to tell you how I make my TTP. This is original so listen up. HAIR GEL!. Coat plain white paper with clear hair gel. I use the softee brand found in most dollar stores/walmart. I personally coat the paper 2x. Once dried, I use my heat press and cover paper (parchment) to press and return paper back to flat state. I run it thru the laser printer. it will curl but let it sit and it will relax again. I use adhesive spray 3M 45 on the image, and place it on my substrate. I then pass it under my heat press again briefly. Soak in tub of water. the paper will easily float off. This process beats all other DIYs in time and effectiveness. Let me know if anyone tries it.

I'm unlikely to ever try it but I love your inventiveness! Well done!

I agree that it's an interesting idea, worth looking at, but I'm trying to understand this claim:

This process beats all other DIYs in time and effectiveness

It seems to me that by the time you apply two coats of hair gel and let it dry between each coat, iron it flat, then spray it with adhesive, I could have simply used a sheet of cheap photo inkjet paper straight out of the package, and already have a finished PC board.

I gave up making my own PCBs many years ago when it became very cheap to get double sided plated through boards.

Mike.

Reactions: 3v0
I agree that it's an interesting idea, worth looking at, but I'm trying to understand this claim:

It seems to me that by the time you apply two coats of hair gel and let it dry between each coat, iron it flat, then spray it with adhesive, I could have simply used a sheet of cheap photo inkjet paper straight out of the package, and already have a finished PC board.

That's what I thought. I made it sound complicated. For what I do, that's the best route. For the ones making PCB boards, simply coat once. Just apply enough to have good "slip" and let dry. Iron flat to go back through the printer ( this is for laser only). You can just iron the toner as usual. My substrate requires no heat be applied so that's the only reason for the adhesive. Soak the paper off. Noticed I said better than all DIYs. You cannot compare this to commercial products that are designed to do exactly this. Cost is the big thing for me. I require a lot of TTP. So the 32 oz jar I use covers about 40 papers with dual coats. the jar cost less than $3.00 here with tax.. you're looking at $0.08 a sheet. The claim was based on my own experience. If you have something better, by all means.

Is there something in the process that makes you not want to try it?
No, I still follow this thread and contribute sometimes, but I use dry film photo-resist now so don't need toner transfer any more. I've even started doing my own through hole plating!

No, I still follow this thread and contribute sometimes, but I use dry film photo-resist now so don't need toner transfer any more. I've even started doing my own through hole plating!
I stopped etching boards a few years ago when, like Mike said, it became cheap to have them made. Really don't like drilling holes, and life is simpler without the chemicals and other supplies.

But the ANT PCB mill project has my attention. Its small enough that one can store in in a drawer or such when not in use. But I think I will hold off for a while and see what develops along that line.

Hi, I am very new at this toner transfer process, but after reading several of your articals I came up with an idea to pre treat your paper with spray on starch then let it dry, after heating the toner to the board then put your board in water and the starch will disolve and seperate from the toner. I will try it tomorrow. Please excuse my many mis spells as I have talen 2 sleeping mpills and all thje heys are running together, good night

That is fine
wish you best of health during COVID times.
now that we get yellow and white toner transfer papers from ebay and aliexpress, there is no need to fabricate one at home.
buy 10 A4 sheets and you can make many boards every time cutting a small needed piece from the A4 sheet.

after ironing, while it is semi-hot, lift from one corner and slowly peel it off. i get good results.
even etching hydro chloric acid (HCl), with hydrogen per oxide (H2O2)combination working nicely.
all the best.

sarma
vu3zmv

Hi JimBob - I tried a similar thing a few years ago after finding a website with instructions for making paper treated with - ah drat can't remember the name of the stuff! (you make it by baking dry cornstarch) anyway it seemed great until the paper dried, but then it was all wrinkly and no good. The original creator treated his paper with silicone waterproofing spray first to circumvent this problem, and he got really good results.

Anyway I hope you have better luck with the spray on starch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back