• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Toner Transfer Papers

BobW

If the cracking is due to the toner flaking off of the toner transfer paper before you get it ironed onto the PCB, then you may find this to be a useful tip. I had this problem when using HP photo inkjet paper. Then I found that if I wipe the paper with a cloth dampened with methyl alcohol, it takes enough of the glaze off of the paper to make the toner stick much better. The paper doesn't look any different after doing this, but the toner sticks really well, and I've never had any more toner flaking issues since I've started doing this.

You don't need to get the paper really wet, and obviously you must let it dry before putting it through the printer.

mvs sarma

Thread starter #102
3v0,
The only issue i find is in making boards with ground plane.
I get dotty pin holes ( not software issue.). For non ground plane pcb , whether large or small , it works fine. People are more used to Laminating machine that does uniform heat and pressure.
Things should be FINE, I suppose.
regards
saqrma
vu3zmv

throbscottle

I noticed slight cracking on a FR2 board about 5" to a side, worse when I did another slightly narrower but about 3" longer. It might be better with FR4. These are cracks in the transferred toner due to thermal expansion, and wrinkles due to it shrinking back again.

Last edited:

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
3v0,
The only issue i find is in making boards with ground plane.
I get dotty pin holes ( not software issue.). For non ground plane pcb , whether large or small , it works fine. People are more used to Laminating machine that does uniform heat and pressure.
Things should be FINE, I suppose.
regards
saqrma
vu3zmv
I have seen this too. Using a grid pattern for the ground plane fixed it for me.

DGM

I'm gradually working up to my first attempt at toner transfer. I don't think I've ever seen the "ordinary waxed paper" described. Will greaseproof paper or baking parchment do the job?
I never had any luck with waxed paper or coated masking paper. When using waxed paper, the print tends to also get terribly distorted when it runs through the fuser in the printer. Trying to make the toner stick to the board afterwards was basically futile, either because the wax has a lower melting point than the fusing temperature of the toner, or because the toner was contaminated by the wax -- or more likely both.

I've tried freezer paper and not had any real luck either.

At least with magazine paper, the release agent (starch) isn't activated by heat, so it doesn't migrate in the printer or the press.

mvs sarma

Thread starter #106
DGM,
WELCOME to ETO,

Please check on ebay for yellow or white colored Toner transfer paper. I might have earlier said some wax coating. It is in fact Silicon film. heat doesn't trouble it. you might of course use parchment paper. I never had experience of such papers.

all the best
regards
sarma

Latest threads

EE World Online Articles