1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

Toner Transfer Papers

Discussion in 'Circuit Simulation & PCB Design' started by mvs sarma, Nov 12, 2010.

1. BobW

BobW Active Member

If the cracking is due to the toner flaking off of the toner transfer paper before you get it ironed onto the PCB, then you may find this to be a useful tip. I had this problem when using HP photo inkjet paper. Then I found that if I wipe the paper with a cloth dampened with methyl alcohol, it takes enough of the glaze off of the paper to make the toner stick much better. The paper doesn't look any different after doing this, but the toner sticks really well, and I've never had any more toner flaking issues since I've started doing this.

You don't need to get the paper really wet, and obviously you must let it dry before putting it through the printer.

2. mvs sarma

mvs sarma Well-Known Member

3v0,
    The only issue i find is in making boards with ground plane.
    I get dotty pin holes ( not software issue.). For non ground plane pcb , whether large or small , it works fine. People are more used to Laminating machine that does uniform heat and pressure.
    Things should be FINE, I suppose.
    regards
    saqrma
    vu3zmv

3. throbscottle

throbscottle Well-Known Member

I noticed slight cracking on a FR2 board about 5" to a side, worse when I did another slightly narrower but about 3" longer. It might be better with FR4. These are cracks in the transferred toner due to thermal expansion, and wrinkles due to it shrinking back again.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018 at 2:25 AM
  4. dave miyares

Dave New Member

5. 3v0

3v0 Coop Build Coordinator Forum Supporter

I have seen this too. Using a grid pattern for the ground plane fixed it for me.