Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

time delay circuit for puzzle box

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBloodhound

Hello
I am building a puzzle and I need help with a time delay feature.
I want to power my puzzle box with two AA batteries. When a switch is closed on the box a light will light up to indicate a correct answer has been chosen.
What I want is to build a 3-4 second delay into that light circuit thus delaying the indication of a correct answer.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

A 555 timer IC could be the basis for that.
Do you want the light, once lit, to stay on indefinitely?
Should it go out after some set time?
Will there be a 'reset' switch to turn it off?
Is there only one light, or are there several competitors each with a switch/light?

Let me try and provide a visual of my project
I am building a box with a power supply of 3 volts (two AA batteries) and a green LED light to indicate if the answers posed on the box is correct. On the left are five plug in ports representing latitude coordinates and on the right are five plug in ports representing longitude coordinates. The player plugs the negative battery lead in a latitude port and the positive battery lead in a longitude port. If the player is correct after 2-3 seconds the light will turn on. If the choices are incorrect the light will not turn on. After the correct coordinates are realized the player will unplug the leads and leave the box for the next player.
I want the delay built into the circuit to slow the game down a bit
Thanks for your help!

You can try the delay on circuit here https://clarkson-uk.com/555-timer/operation/frames3.html

The output (pin 3) goes to the LED, with a series resistor. The battery life will be better if the 555 is of the CMOS variety (or if you invert the logic and use the output as a current sink rather than source). Schmitt trigger input logic ICs (e.g. 74C14, 40106, 4093, etc.) can also be used in a similar configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back