Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TI 83 wireless link

Status
Not open for further replies.

jle

I've been searching around for some schematics for a wireless link for a TI 83/83+/84 calculator...yet in vain so far. There was something made back in 2000 called a radiolinc, however the site (fission2 labs) is down and I can't find any information on it. So if anyone has any details on how to make this or has any information or ideas for building this sort of wireless transmitter that'd be awesome. I figured this was probably the right site to ask...thanks!

Why not buy them? Wireless tx/rx's are very cheap, and a commercial product is going to only be slightly more expensive than something you yourself could build and likely 10-100 times more sensitive/reliable.

My TI84 has a USB port. Don't they make USB wireless dongles?

It has to be a bidirectional rf transmitter, seeing as though it has to be able to send and recieve information...so I didn't know where to get one and even if I could find one, how to adapt it to the calculator.

Hey yea I read through that thread...all of the links were dead though and no one ever reached a conclusion. I just need to know what parts I would need to use? Microcontrollers? Ideally it needs to be small, but functionality is most important.

What exactly is this for? You need to be able to write code for the TI calc that uses the wireless or are you're trying to use it to replace the programming cable? I'm sure you can interface to the TI's port, I know the TI-89 allows you to directly access the data cable port so you could in theory hook it up to a micro controller and do anything you want.

I want to build this for use with some multiplayer games i programmed and possibly a chat system. How would I use the microcontrollers? I'm fairly new to this.

Well first thing is first, you have to download the TI-83 programmers manual. What you're looking for is the hardware layer specifications for the link communication port and obviously the software specifications on how user programs can use it. If you can find the hardware specs I should be able to point you in the right direction at least, a micro controller may not be required, it's possible with some simple external logic you could have the TI communicate directly with an RF module, but I'd need to see the docs for it.

hmmm true, didn't even think of that. I forget how prevalent those calculators are in college classes, a lot of them require you to have one. But considering the many neat little things you could do with such an interface I think it'd be interesting to build.

Not really blueroom, if a few discrete components could be used to level adjust and multiplex the TI's I/O lines (think a shift register) to interface with a wireless module like the NRF2401 based ones that sparkfun cells the entire module would only be the size of a quarter and maybe 1/4 inch thick. 50ft indoors.

Heck of a tool for cheating during exams.

Its not cheating. Its creative use of personal resources!:D

In real life you use every available tool you can get in order to do the job right and get it done quickly and under budget. Or at least I do!

I had the TI-83 silver edition when I was in college several years ago. I would hook it up to my computer at home and pack it full of information for tests! It saved my butt many times! Plus sharing the notes got me a few free meals too!:)

I like the idea of a wireless link for the TI calculators!

Did not know that! So whats the allowed one to use now?

And that's why the silver was banned.

We're still allowed to use the 84 silver...

Well first thing is first, you have to download the TI-83 programmers manual. What you're looking for is the hardware layer specifications for the link communication port and obviously the software specifications on how user programs can use it. If you can find the hardware specs I should be able to point you in the right direction at least, a micro controller may not be required, it's possible with some simple external logic you could have the TI communicate directly with an RF module, but I'd need to see the docs for it.

What exact specs would you need? I already know how to write programs usable over the wired link, so it should be the same for over a wireless. Thanks for your help btw.

So how is changing from a TI-83 to a TI -84 going to solve anything related to cheating? :confused:
I just went to the TI website and the new TI-84's have far more memory and better specs than the TI-83 ever ever had! :)

If anything I would have loved to have had the capacity of the TI-84 at my disposal several years ago!
Its partly why I bought the TI voyage. It had the better memory capacity and mathematical functions built right in.

If you figure out how to make a stealth wireless link that will work with any of the TI line I may very well have to go back to college a third time! :p

Or even better, Make it a wireless link that can intrface with a computer or laptop! And get a range of around 500 - 1000 ft! Then with a little program wizardry have it be able to acces class related files on the laptop with a whole load of text info and formula related what not! Use the TI-calculators like a wireless remote PDA interfaces to a laptops or computers in dorm rooms!
You will be filthy rich within a year or two! I would easily spend a few hundred to be able to interface a TI graphing calculator with my laptop remotely when in a college class!

Last edited:
A few if the classes I had cell phones were not allowed. Buy adapting your calculator that is allowed you can bypass that rule!

The people that get ahead are the ones that question the established rules and find ways around them when needed!
Many rules are not for you own good, they are for someone else's profit! :(

If you smuggle in notes and basic cheating devices in order to pass a test because you did not study you deserve to get caught! ;)
If you modified your calculator to be able to interface with other calculators and or your own remotely located computer during a test, You deserve an EE degree! :)

Cheating is a very relative term. Doing it because you are lazy is wrong! :mad:
Doing it because you are very creative and are approaching it as a solution to a problem by using non conventional methods is a rare talent that should be praised not punished!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back