Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Temperature coefficient of metal film resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eblc1388

Hi everyone,

The temperature coefficient(TC) of carbon film resistors are stated as some -200ppm/C and increasing to -800ppm/C for high ohmic resistors.

However, the TC of metal film resistors are often stated as +/- ppm instead of just negative. So,

1. Are there metal film resistors that has positive TC or they all just having negative TC?

2. Does higher ohmic value results in worse TC?

eblc1388 said:
Hi everyone,

The temperature coefficient(TC) of carbon film resistors are stated as some -200ppm/C and increasing to -800ppm/C for high ohmic resistors.

However, the TC of metal film resistors are often stated as +/- ppm instead of just negative. So,

1. Are there metal film resistors that has positive TC or they all just having negative TC?

2. Does higher ohmic value results in worse TC?
Here's an answer to question 1:
**broken link removed**
Scroll down to MELF type resistors and click on "MLT".
You might get more answers by going to their home page and looking around.

Ron H said:
You might get more answers by going to their home page and looking around.

Thanks Ron. Its exactly the info I am looking for.

Because positive TC 'MLT" and "LT" type resistors in the above weblink are classified in distinct catalogs, it leads me to believe that most common MF25 metal film resistors all have negative temperature coefficient unless someone else points out otherwise.

Interestingly, the TC of these positive TC metal film resistors get smaller with higher ohmic values and so now I am wondering whether this generalisation also applies to common MF25 metal film resistors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back