Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMD resistor code

Shagreobe

Hi all. I ran across an SMD resistor marked with just an "E" (or maybe "3") What is this? havent seen only 1 digit/letter before except for 0 ohm of course. It measures about 12.8R in one direction and around .9M the other way. (In circuit of course)
Any Idea what the marking is?

If it measures differently in each direction, it's not a resistor. It is probably a diode of some sort, assuming you didn't get a bad connection when measuring it, and that it has been measured when not fitted to a circuit board.

SMD resistors may use a strictly numeric code, or an alpha-numeric code for 1% resistors. Check this reference.

Here is a pic of it. Looks like every other resistor I've seen?

Attachments

• 20231103_143459.jpg
    20231103_143459.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
Here is a pic of it. Looks like every other resistor I've seen?
Or many capacitors, many diodes etc, etc. A fuse is a fair possibility as well.

It's a bit suspicious when the other resistors in the picture are blue, and clearly labelled as Rxxx.

Why are you investigating it?, is the unit faulty?, and have you fault found to this point?.

Troubleshooting a problem, and noticed the odd looking thing. Never see one with just 1 letter. It goes to the center pin of the 7805 vr

The CAD draftsman who laid out this board should be obligated to troubleshoot one himself; it is horrible!
Not only many labels are placed on top of solder joints, obscuring characters, but there are components without labels. For instance, the ceramic cap on the bottom left corner.
And the “mystery device” is labeled as a “P”, which means exactly… what? A photodiode? Unlikely as it doesn’t seem to have a transparent window.

EDIT: it goes to the center pin of the voltage regulator. Which in a 7805 is ground.

I uncoveed some solder joints on the vr and can now see the "f" in front ]of the number so I guess it's a fuse

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back