Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tachometer circuit needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
chiba said:
Price of fuel in the UK is crazy, We pay £0.48 per litre, The US are paying £0.22 per litre!!

The average driver in the US has to drive much further then his UK counterpart. I would guess that we pay about the same percentage of our income for fuel.

To get to a major shopping area (one that has most everything I need at a reasonable price) I travel 250 US miles (400 kilometers) round trip. That does not include in town travel. The next larger city is twice that far.

It seems that the multinational oil companies are extracting what they can from all of us. Diesel fuel used to be less expensive then gasoline. When diesel powered pickups became popular here the price jumped to equal or exceed that of gasoline.

3v0

mbu said:
hjl4,

Thanks!

I may have a few questions for you as I go along.....Would you mind if I sent you a private message if I have some questions? The questions most likely won't be for a while as I have to review all the information on Nigel's site and study the circuit.

I'm not using an RPM Meter on my laithe, But I have an up/Down counter on it so I can count the number of turns when Winding Coils.

I glued a small Magnet onto the back side of the Chuck and use a Hall Effect Swith to give me the Pulses for my counter. Its a "TL170" Hall Effect Switch.

** If you want one, Contact me as I can supply it.

3v0, We only have small useless shopping areas and The next major city to me is 1562 miles away :)

Silicon chip magazine march 2005 showed how to convert a car tacho into a lathe tacho:
https://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_104063/article.html you need subscibe to read it all though :(
Also back in 1988 they published a tacho kit for drills and lathes, it was taken up buy oatley electronics in australia and sells as a kit
**broken link removed** thats all the deatails i have on it though.
A group called camtronics did a digital tacho kit for lathes and there is a circuit for it somewhere on the net? i don't think they make the kit anymore as they are working on a more modern version?

here is an article that may help:

**broken link removed**

it shows the principle of operation of a contact less digital tachometer. the design can be modified to whatever pick-up sensor that detects the rotation of the shaft.

here u go.
layout and code for the pic16f628 based tachometer.if ur building it for lathe use some hall effect or proximity sensor for signal input.and if u want it for automotive like motorbike or car,wound 6-8 turns of thick(sorry no idea of gauge) over the sparkplug cable coupled through 2N2222 or 3905 transistor(have a look at below pic.) and connect the collector to pin4 of PIC

Attachments

• DDZM.zip
    50.3 KB · Views: 419
  • inductive _led.GIF
    inductive _led.GIF
    4.7 KB · Views: 3,640
@ikalogic
that website of urs is great.even a nood can understand stuff easily.its seems u did lot of hard work for making those articles.nice ika i am really impressed
keep it up

student1616,

Thanks! That zip file has everything including the trace for the PCB. Just curious do you have the source code that was used to create the hex file as that would be a nice way to know what's going on.

Also, do you know of an inexpensive programmer that I could use to program the chip? Or... should I just buy the programmer that is offered by MicroChip?

Thanks again for your help and download. That was great!!

Mike

guys one more issue with this chip

i have plenty of PIC16f628A's but the code provided is for PIC16F628,and when i tried to burn the code on 16F628A,my programmer (Multipic) showing some error.is it bcz of the improper code(imean code is build for normal version where as iam using it for A version).
can i do some changes to the code to use it for A version? will it work?
iam following (http://www.josepino.com/pic_projects/index?tachometer2.jpc)

studend1616,

Not related to your question but...

What kind of sensor did you use and how did you connect it?

Thanks

the author said any small pulse will work for input.
so i used 2N2222 transistor to filter the spikes formed by the spark plug wire.(well iam planning for optochio now for more safety).have a look at below chip u'll under it.that helical is thick enameled copper wire wound around spark plug cable.
**broken link removed**

*can u help with this code issue?

I am very pleased about this site, it helps a lot, though

can anyone figure out on how to make a digital tachometer with at least a 5 digit or so that is capable of producing 0 to 15,ooo rpm readout.

thanks.:)

Master scientist said:
I am very pleased about this site, it helps a lot, though

can anyone figure out on how to make a digital tachometer with at least a 5 digit or so that is capable of producing 0 to 15,ooo rpm readout.

thanks.:)

The EPE tach using a LCD could be programmed to provide any number of digits up to what you can put on the display. It may do what you want as is. There would be a pratical limit due to processor speed.

Edit: Did some digging. Nigel posted the following in 2004, the link is still good. Is is setup to measure distance or act as a spedo but it could easily function as a tach. They are all counters.
EPE Magazine did a project for this, back in 1997, using a 16C84, you can download the software from **broken link removed**.

Here is the text file from the download.

I should have the magazine somewhere!.

Last edited:
hi, i'm a student working on a project that is supposed to measure the distance walked by a person.

i'm very much interested in using the tachometer to measure the distance.
the tachometer will be attached to a wheel and stick for the person to walke. it is much similar like a measuring wheel. however, i can't find a suitable circuit to design the tachometer schematic. my main priority for this schematic is for it to be small and portable.

much assistance needed.
thank you.

beplusso said:
hi, i'm a student working on a project that is supposed to measure the distance walked by a person.

i'm very much interested in using the tachometer to measure the distance.
the tachometer will be attached to a wheel and stick for the person to walke. it is much similar like a measuring wheel. however, i can't find a suitable circuit to design the tachometer schematic. my main priority for this schematic is for it to be small and portable.

much assistance needed.
thank you.

I Think you Need a Counter, Not a Tachometer.

If So, I might have Exactially What you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back