Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switch question without voltage drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

superflux

I have attached an image.

I have 2 voltage sources coming in the circuit (X and Y). If voltage is present on X, then Y is not needed. X takes priority in this circuit, so Y is only used if no voltage is present at X.

Currently, I am using a mechanical switch as in the top diagram. I want to get away from this; however, I need 5v at Z whether using X or Y.

If I use a transistor, such as a PNP, in the lower diagram, which would tell me if X is off, then I would have to use a Diode on X to prevent the voltage from Y altering the state of the transistor. When I add the diode, I will get a minimum of a .6 voltage drop which I cannot have. I must have 5 volts at Z.

I'm looking for solutions.

Thanks!

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Hopefully this will help a bit:

I'm using a PIC 16F88 to read voltages from an automotive sensor. The "Load" would be the ADC input (PORTA,4). I have a 1k resistor before the ADC port to reduce the current.

I haven't calculated the "base" resistor for the PNP transistor, but it shouldn't take much current to saturate the transistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back