Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stun Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you wanted to make a truly nasty (and probably illegal as hell) battery powered stunner you could always step up the output of an 120VAC inverter through a diode-capacitor voltage multiplier until the current was below the lethal range. The high voltage appears only at the output, your diodes and capacitors need only withstand 120V.

I wont use the old and tiny tranformer from old radio used in this beginning thread, i will replace it with 3V to 240V 500mA tranformer ( it has 3V rated written at primary side and 240V written at secondary side), that easily found at WallMart' household electronic equipment. So giving about 6Vac to primary side will produce about 480Vac at the output/secondary side. And by using 1 stage voltage multiplier you will get 960Vdc (480 x 2)

wouldn't it be more effective having also a negative swing ? How this can be done with simpke oscilator schematic ? can you show?

The 3V winding of your 240V to 3V transformer probably doesn't have turns so it won't have enough inductance to be used as a transformer's primary winding. It would just be a short circuit.
Try it. It might work.

An inductor produces a high voltage spike when its current is suddenly stopped. Then a voltage multiplier or a negative swing is not needed.

leonar said:
So, can we get 960Vac, by using just 6V , above transformer and above 1 stage voltage multiplier?
Every transformer is different. They are not designed to be used backwards but you might find one that works. Try it.

I tried building this today, it seems to work, but i dont get any spark, however i got a tiny yellow spark when shorting with a screw driver, and it makes a high pitch wistle when running, i dont think the transformer is arcing inside, im too afraid to try touching the output

can anyone help me!!!!!!.... ok heres my problem... i made the mark stoker model stun gun using all the correct parts xcept for well the transformer...
the only way i can get the stup thing to shock me its by repeatedly remove and replace the battery as fast as i can... is that how its suppost to work.. cause im pretty sure im suppost to get a constant shock when its turned on ( battery pluged in ) im using a mouser transforemer btw...

Well from what ive read, i dont think it is a proper plan, a transistor oscillatro would be better, and you have to have the right transformer, an audio transformer wont be capable of the high voltages, however, this may be able to be used as a primary stage circuit, with a secondary transformer, i like the circuit ive seen here that uses a flash tube trigger transformer, i think that would work quite well

SHOW ME!!! PICS!! :( lol... also is the stun gun suppost to give u like one shock and thats it...? or like a simultaneous none stop shock untill u let go of the output wire.. lol....... im like really a noob at all the parts still so im like slow wit the stuff.. i can read schematics and if u give me the right parts im set.. but usually ill mess up if i have to search for the parts myself :(

if someone could just tell me all the parts i need to use.... i know theres a list on the schematics... :-/... but if there is anything else i should be using to make it work right let me know... also i mentioned im using a mouser transformer if there is an alternative besides the mini audio transformer 200k to 1k ct in the schematic let me know! ive been trying to make this stupid thing for like a month now and its driving me crazy.. I NEED TO FINISH IT :(

NeoNinja said:
if someone could just tell me all the parts i need to use.... i know theres a list on the schematics... :-/... but if there is anything else i should be using to make it work right let me know... also i mentioned im using a mouser transformer if there is an alternative besides the mini audio transformer 200k to 1k ct in the schematic let me know! ive been trying to make this stupid thing for like a month now and its driving me crazy.. I NEED TO FINISH IT :(

I Can't believe all the questions and comments here for such an Old, Simple and Useless Circuit.

Quote: "mini audio transformer 200k to 1k ct"
Not even sure Why anyone would Specify this Transformer or any transformer rated in Impedance?

You want to STEP-UP the Voltage, So what is Most important is a High Turns Ratio to get a High Voltage Output.

Impedance is NOT a Turns ratio, it is an Impedance Ratio.
Impedance is basically an AC Measured resistance.

And with a little effort and the use of your brain, it could be built and working in 15 Minutes. Not that it will do much of anything in the way of a real shock to anything.

If you want a Real Stun Gun, that circuit is Not what you want. There are some More Professional Stun gun Circuits on my website, But you can't just BUY the Transformer for them. "You Must make it". And that requires Considerable Skill and some special equipment.

chemelec said:
Quote: "mini audio transformer 200k to 1k ct"
Not even sure Why anyone would Specify this Transformer or any transformer rated in Impedance?

You want to STEP-UP the Voltage, So what is Most important is a High Turns Ratio to get a High Voltage Output.

Hi Gary,
The 1k primary impedance is actually only 250 ohms because half is used.
The impedance ratio becomes 200k to 250.

The turns ratio is the square-root of the impedance ratio. So the turns ratio of the little transformer is 28.3.

You can double-check by calculating power input and power output which should be nearly the same if the transformer is half decent. A 2V signal into 250 ohms= 16mW. The 2V signal multiplied by the 28.3 turns ratio into 200k ohms= 16mW.

If the little transformer can withstand the high voltage, its output power is very little.

chemelec said:

Impedance is basically an AC Measured resistance.

But an impedance transformer has a turns ratio just the same, the ONLY reason this transformer is specified is because it's so easily available (or at least it was in the ancient past when the project was designed).

However, I would fully agree it's a crap circuit! - but it doesn't bother me as such devices are SERIOUSLY illegal in the UK (jail time type serious!).

audioguru said:
Hi Gary,
The 1k primary impedance is actually only 250 ohms because half is used.
The impedance ratio becomes 200k to 250.

The turns ratio is the square-root of the impedance ratio. So the turns ratio of the little transformer is 28.3.

audioguru, Yes I am well aware of that formula.
But that is Still a Crappy transformer.

A small power transformer would be better and a 220 volt to 6 volt should be fairly easy to get, Back than and still today.
With a Bit Better output, Both for Voltage and Current.

But Still No where near being a Stun Gun.

But a Good "Tickle Stick".

Nigel Goodwin said:
More a "you're going to find a fist in your face" :p

Nigel, Not Sure What your Problem is:
But "Tickle Stick" was a Common name applied to these Low Powered, High Voltage circuit MANY YEARS AGO in Popular Electronics and Other Electronic Magazines.

chemelec said:
Nigel, Not Sure What your Problem is:

I've no problem, and wasn't referring to you - but to what would happen if a builder tried to use the audio transformer 'stun gun' on someone.

But "Tickle Stick" was a Common name applied to these Low Powered, High Voltage circuit MANY YEARS AGO in Popular Electronics and Other Electronic Magazines.

Probably just an American term then?.

A tickle stick? That's got to be a term straight out of Sweden or Denmark!!:rolleyes: I seem to remember that they can operate from alkaline batteries. The ticke stick industry strongly recommends using inexpensive carbon-zinc dry cells over pricey alkalines do to the extreme power capability of the alkaline types.....

remember that past thread? ;)

Hi there, i am having trouble finding the EC104M SCR on your schematic, i cant find any suppliers on google either, is there an alternative part number?
also with the transformer, is the bobbin used for winding the cores only? or does it stay on, with the fair rite core slipping in the middle of the bobbin.
Cheers
Nzoomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back