Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

STUN GUN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oznog Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:40 pm Post subject:

There is no good reason to build one

I would tend to Disagree. One Main good Reason is It can be very educational in building them and trying to understand the principals involved. Especially the Insulation factors for such High Voltages in a Small Confined Space

Besides, Its just a Minature Telsa Coil. And How many people build them.

Not that I would ever shock anyone with one.
And No I Don't consider it should ever be used as a weapon.

chemelec said:
Besides, Its just a Minature Telsa Coil. And How many people build them.

Not that I would ever shock anyone with one.
And No I Don't consider it should ever be used as a weapon.

If you're not intending to build something to use as a weapon, you're not building a stun gun. You're building a Jacob's Ladder or whatever, something to make sparks for show. Which actually sounds just fine! As long as you're not making a device intended to apply potentially harmful HV to people nobody's going to object.

It's not a Tesla coil. It's not high freq, not resonant, not air core.

Now making a "solid state Tesla coil" out of a old-style TV flyback and a couple of transistors is a lot of fun. It draws pretty long streamers. It's not an air core but two out of three is probably enough to apply the Tesla name. You can do most of the neat stuff that a Tesla coil can do- light flourescent tubes at a distance, draw streamers without shocking you, etc.

[quote="Oznog
It's not a Tesla coil. It's not high freq, not resonant, not air core. [/quote]

I Never said it was a Telsa Coil, but there are definate simularities. No it is not an Air Core, but Yes it definately can be Resonant.

Does anyone know if this 'kubaton' people are referring to is the same as knuckle dusters? How would one go about making this?

Would it be illegal to posess in the UK?

long time....

Hi,

Its been ages since I stuck my 'moral' oar in.....and I see some fairly recent posts in this topic, guess theres still significant interest in the matter.

Ron H,

You are of course, completely correct in saying I 'opened myself up to questions'. Why did I build several versions? Mis-spent youth :D (a 12-year-old with a transformer and too much time) I've been a 'fan' of HV since I can remember, and the circuits that claim to be 'stunguns schematics' were sometimes, just pretty easy way to get nice arcs without dealing with mains electricity. I've since learned a lot more (postgrad), and have moved on to better things, like audio/control/comms/digital electronics.

The only reason I posted my concerns was purely out of...well...concern! This is an electronics forum, therefore questions should be purely about electronics. I probably should have been more helpful and provided a schematic, or advice...but its something I feel very strongly about. Making a stungun will be a waste of time. It'll get you beaten up, arrested, or, just sit on your workbench reminding you that you've wasted time building something that will never be used.

That said. I am from the UK, where we have fairly strict law concerning such 'weapons', all of which I agree with. Big apology to admin, for using up forum posts, but I felt I should at least reply to this topic once more.

Blueteeth.

Ps. On a technical note, I did provide some clues as to effectively create such a device. If you want to learn how they work, research, research and experiment!

Stun Gun Alterations

Hello,

This subject may have been addressed, but if your building the Stun Gun by Mark Stoker.
You may need to increase the 555 timer's frequency. The reason for this is to increase
the inductive reactance across the "primary" of the transformer. It will put a higher voltage
across the input and therefore a higher voltage across the output.​
In my case I placed a 1K:eek:hm: resistor in parallel with the 47K:eek:hm:, which gave me a frequency
around 5KHz. and the voltage across the "primary" went up to about 2Vrms and 250Vrms
on transformer's output.​
Also if you are having trouble finding audio transformers, Radio shack has a 1000K/8K with the SKU#273-1380.

Best of luck, and be careful.

This is a very old thread, the OP is not active anymore.

AG, by chance did you see the one folk over on electronic lab that wanted to make a 50k 6-7A power supply?

AG, by chance did you see the one folk over on electronic lab that wanted to make a 50k 6-7A power supply?

Thus, another Darwin award winner is born...

I don't think any of us can think about how much power is in 350kW (50kV at 7A).
A stupid stun gun has far less power.

electrical current scale!!

This scale is to do with electrical current/shocks

.01 to 1ma Tingling to anoying - Static electric shocks
1 to 5ma anoying to Painful Spark plugs, Tv pitcure tubes, trip current of GFI
5 TO 20MA Painful to very painful Oil burner ignition bug killers, stun guns

20 to 50ma Very painful to possibly lethal Neon sign transformers, old tube radios

50 to 100ma Possibly lethal to lethal low-powered transmitters, capacitor charges for lasers

100ma to 500ma lethal to deadly Medium-Powered transmitters, Laboratory power suppiles.

500ma to 1amp Electric chair, 220-volt house current under certain circumstances..

So theres some details.. to go on
I've got a simple diagram thats gives out a Joke shock... to amore awful one that gives out 10k to 20.000volts:eek:
vortex2009
:D

I know this is an old thread, but here is a link to a site to build a stun-gun, I built the circuit,and modified the latter part of the circuit to use 1 capacitor and no 27 M resistors(which i couldnt get), works very well.

Steel Rats Club

The Russian guy swears too much like a little 13 years old kid.

Hello! Sorry to open an old topic, however I didn't know where to ask this, and this is stun gun related. I wander if someone with more experience would help me with this:

I wanted to build a high voltage supply, and I tried it with the first stun gun oscillator design from this website - **broken link removed** (because I had only TIP31 transistors). I checked it many times and I am sure everything is connected right way. Using 9V battery, multimeter reading at the output is about 4.6V, and I can see a square wave of about 8 cycles per 50 ms (160 Hz) - I have only winscope -so I guess the oscillator works. But when I connect it to the transformer I get reading of 0V at the secondary, and primary, although winscope shows something between sine and square waves. Transformer I used is hand wound, 40 turns of 0.7 mm enamel wire for primary (around a 7 cm long, 1 cm diameter iron bolt), 1400 turns in 10 layers of 0.3 mm wire for secondary, with each layer isolated and the whole thing covered in wax. I also tried with a small transformer taken out from cell phone charger and 3KV xenon transformers, with no results. Battery voltage is 7,26V, maybe the current is too low? I would appreciate any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back