Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IloveGraceKelly

Hi everyone,

I am currently a rising senior majoring in computer engineering. I wasn't able to secure an internship this summer so I wanted to come up with ideas for projects.

One of my project ideas is creating a police speed gun that uses LIDAR to measure the speed at which a vehicle is moving. I was thinking of buying a LIDAR sensor to measure the vehicles speed and using a microcontroller to perform the logic of calculating the speed and displaying it onto an LCD screen. I know I could also use a doppler radar sensor to also to measure speed, but I want to know if this is possible with LIDAR sensors.

These are some of the LIDAR sensors I was thinking of using:

TF03 Long-Distance LiDAR Module (100m)

LIDAR-Lite v3HP

LIDAR-Lite v3

I know the range and accuracy of the gun is going to be significantly worse than an actual police speed gun due to the LIDAR sensor. Despite this, would this project be possible to implement with the given sensors to some degree? I appreciate all the responses.

It depends on your objective applications. Vehicle speed , distance, landscsape/golf distance, UAV, Robotic distance.
Consider all technologies and compare speed (BW), range and price.

LIDAR can also be used for AR like Apple's building in the visitor centre using an iPAD.

LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) technology can indeed be used for Augmented Reality (AR) applications. LiDAR sensors are capable of measuring distances by emitting laser pulses and measuring the time it takes for the light to bounce back after hitting objects in the environment. This information is then used to create a detailed 3D map or point cloud of the surroundings.

Do a search/survey then decide.

I asked CHatGPT

User

define future profitable uses ofLIDAR

LiDAR technology is expected to have a wide range of future profitable uses across various industries. Some potential applications include:
  1. Autonomous Vehicles: LiDAR is already a critical component in the development of self-driving cars. It provides precise and real-time 3D mapping of the vehicle's surroundings, enabling accurate object detection, obstacle avoidance, and path planning. As the autonomous vehicle market expands, the demand for high-quality LiDAR systems is likely to increase.
  2. Robotics and Drones: LiDAR can enhance the capabilities of robots and drones by providing detailed 3D mapping, obstacle detection, and navigation assistance. Industries such as agriculture, construction, and inspection services can benefit from autonomous robots and drones equipped with LiDAR, allowing for more efficient and precise operations.
  3. Smart City Planning: LiDAR can be used to create detailed 3D models of urban environments, aiding in city planning, infrastructure development, and traffic management. It can provide accurate data on terrain, buildings, and road networks, assisting in the design and optimization of transportation systems and urban landscapes.
  4. Environmental Monitoring: LiDAR's ability to generate precise 3D maps can be utilized for environmental monitoring and conservation efforts. It can help measure forest biomass, monitor coastal erosion, detect changes in land cover, and assess the impact of natural disasters. This information is valuable for ecological studies, land management, and disaster response planning.
  5. Virtual and Augmented Reality: As mentioned earlier, LiDAR can enhance AR experiences by enabling accurate object placement and interaction with the real world. It can also facilitate the creation of more immersive virtual reality (VR) environments by capturing detailed 3D representations of physical spaces, leading to realistic simulations and training scenarios.
  6. Industrial Applications: LiDAR can improve efficiency and safety in industrial settings. For example, it can be used for automated inventory management in warehouses, where it enables precise measurement and tracking of stock levels. LiDAR can also assist in quality control, by performing detailed inspections and measurements in manufacturing processes.
  7. Civil Engineering and Construction: LiDAR technology can aid in surveying, site planning, and monitoring of construction projects. It allows for accurate measurement of land contours, volume calculations, and progress tracking. LiDAR data can also assist in detecting structural deformations, ensuring safety and quality control in infrastructure projects.
These are just a few examples, and the potential applications of LiDAR are continually expanding as the technology evolves. As costs decrease and performance improves, we can expect to see further profitable uses in sectors such as logistics, gaming, archaeology, and more.

Regenerate response

I wish Toronto traffic lights were controlled by LIDAR to reduce the horrible delays with no trraffic moving and long lineups waiting. But you'd have to make it cost-effective. whatever that means ;)

Last edited:
It

I wish Toronto traffic lights were controlled by LIDAR to reduce the horrible delays with no trraffic moving and long lineups waiting. But you'd have to make it cost-effective. whatever that means ;)

Aren't your traffic lights already controlled by either sensors under the roads, or microwave radar (or both), most UK traffic lights are. How would LIDAR improve things?.

Aren't your traffic lights already controlled by either sensors under the roads, or microwave radar (or both), most UK traffic lights are. How would LIDAR improve things?.
That is how it is supposed to work, but we sit in long lines waiting for nobody on the cross streets.

That is how it is supposed to work, but we sit in long lines waiting for nobody on the cross streets.
Sounds like it just needs repairing?, not adding LIDAR.

Certainly here in the UK I've often been driving towards a junction, and the lights turn red - then it obviously spots me approaching (or at least my car :D ) and turns back to green within seconds, obviously the other direction is clear so it over rides the sequencing. Nicely timed, and you drive straight though without slowing or stopping.

Other times you seem to wait for ages though :D

What's worst is mobile traffic lights on roadworks - for decades now they have been wireless, and often are set too far apart, so presumably lose the connection - and set both sets of lights permanently to red.

In recent years they have been lining all the old gas pipes throughout the UK with yellow plastic piping pushed through the old gas pipes, so there's been a great number of temporary traffic lights for that. One in particular, on the 'main' road (not that main) a few streets from me, the lights were always red both ways in the evenings - so all the locals (including me), just looked ahead to see if anyone the other way was doing the same, and then pulled out to pass all the queuing traffic and go straight through on red.

No, bad assumption Nigel. I would say Canadian Traffic Engineers are low tech or low budget.

They also have to contend with winters that cause pot holes and break wires underground and snow plows.

Last edited:
No, bad assumption Nigel. I would say Canadian Traffic Engineers are low tech or low budget.

I think perhaps many of ours are funded by having cameras on them, and fining motorists for speeding or jumping the red lights :D

Lidar is easy and some lidars, like the Garmin Lidar Lite, simply measure distance with a single-point Lidar, record a time stamp, measure again, record the time stamp and calculate speed (d2-d1)/(t2-t1). The Lidar Lite is an I2C device that lets you directly pull, distance, speed, signal power and more from various registers. All for about $100 last time I looked.

some lidars, like the Garmin Lidar Lite, simply measure distance with a single-point Lidar, record a time stamp, measure again, record the time stamp and calculate speed (d2-d1)/(t2-t1).
That is exactly how existing laser speed guns work, just from before the name LIDAR became popular.

I did a lot of research on them some years ago when we were developing a laser distance measuring system.

(We actually ended up using a modulated carrier and phase detection, as it needed accuracy to a couple of mm up to a couple of metres range, & that was far easier than time-of-flight).

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back