Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

STUN GUN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I built a stungun once, and used it on a big guy who was about to rough me up some. He was still out when the ambulance came. I thought I'd killed him. Afterwards he couldnt remember a thing about it.
I'll wait a couple of weeks to allow the moderators to advise me not to send the circuit.

Hi guys.
I'm planning to experiment with a stun-gun project.
I think this design it's quite simple, but it doesn't provide enough power to achieve effective stun.
[url]https://www.rlocman.com.ru/am/a06002.htm [/url]
May I use 2 transformes directly hooked primary-secondary-primary to increase voltage?
By example can i use 2 easy to find 20/1 transformers to obtain 400/1 ratio?
I think it's a quite simple solution but i have never seen in any schematic so i thought that it would not work.
Do i need an intermediate circuit
between transformer?

Bye

What Type of VOltage multiplier?

Hi,
I live in Australia and we have hardly any electronic parts here, and so i cant find the pieces i need...

i am trying to build **broken link removed** but i dont have the D2(1n4005) which is 600v but we've only got the 1n4004 which is 400v...would that really matter?..and i cant find a 200k to 1k C.T audio transformer, i would order it international but, it;s just a transformer, so that'd be a waste of money, because of all the shipping fees....

SO i thought i could use a 1200ohm to 8ohm transformer, but i'd need a voltage multiplyer right? SO instead of using the Voltage Muliplier in **broken link removed**, I want to use a better one, that produces a better shock, what type of DIODE and CAPACITOR should i use? Because freeze said he didnt get any good sparks..?

Thanks...

hi Azn Chum,

And i thought i was the only azn aussie on the forums !!!-There is a place called Jaycar in Australia. What state do you live in ?? They don't sell those 1k/200k transformers however but they do have a 8/1k transformer. This means a 1:125 ratio, not a 1:200 ratio.

That means that you will get 37.5 % less voltage. Which equates to:

9v x 125=1125 volts with the 1:125 transformer, and
9v x 200=1800 volts with the 1:200 transformer.

Thats a voltage difference of about 675 volts. this doesn't matter as 1000 volts is enough to hurt!

however to compensate for the massive loss of primary windings (there is 125 times less primary windings) we should step up the frequency by 125 times.

Time constant equals: RC

1000 ohm x 0.000,000,01 = 100 micro secs/125 = 800 nano secs

so changing c1 to a value 125 times smaller would compensate for the less windings in this case:

0.1 uf/125 = 800 pf. 820 pf would be fine but i would suggest a 680 or lower to avoid the voltage drop under load (when shockin' someone)

NOTE: I would also recommend sharp contact terminals to pierce the offenders cloths so you can shock them properly with the slightly lower voltage!!!

have fun :twisted:

electro dazer

hi pike and anzchum
im yet another aussie trying to pain some cows.

i am making a cattle prodder from the exact design you are anzchum. thanks to pikes expertise i am going to try that capacitor thing. i am using a 1k-8ohm transformer and i added an extra multiplier stage but i only seem to get out 100v by testing it on a multiplier stage. i am doing a school project in port macquarie year 12. so thanks heaps i will try that capacitor and get back too you both.

how do i test this thing without stuning myself?

im on the finishing touches of a tazer right now its about 5 kv it will go through 5 m ohm resistancs and still arc half a centimeter how can i see how effcitive it is, how do i measure the current flow? without burnining out my 600$ multimeter :?:

Attachments

• image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 3,568
Hmm, disapproving..

Hi, I don't want to bring up any moral issues but I feel I should.

I've built a few 'stun-guns' and I still have mixed feelings about the whole issue. For a start some of the design mentioned are not stun-guns. A stun-gun is designed to deliver a high voltage, high current, VERY brief shock. Which, when delivered into the human body causes certain muscles to spasm (the ones close to the bone). This can cause an involuntary movement, loss of balance, and temporary paralysis. Not always pain, a true stungun should not cause any pain.

People probably should remeber how easy this can kill. You shock someone and they fall, hit their head, and thats it. Or their arms fly up, wack you in the face, and break your nose :lol:

The difficult part in designing such a device is how to make it NON-LETHAL. Any idiot can built something that can kill, but making sure the device can never kill, directly by electrical power (not the secondary effects, muscle spasms, falling) is terribly hard.

Cattle Prods however, are designed for pain and incentive.

Most deisgns on the net seem just to create an unrefined, dirty, high votage (and sometimes high current) spike. Which can vary in power, making it dangerous, and quite frankly pathetically amateurish.

The ones I've seen on the net that claim to be stunguns are:

1) The camera flash circuit:
This can quite easily kill. Cameras usually deliver 300-350v from a large capacitor, which, depending on the discharge time, can deliver a few hundred amps. It can burn, make the person jump, and theoretically at least, kill.

2)The 'ol audio transformer with a voltage mulitplier:
These are pretty unimpressive as far as sparks go, but I've shocked myself with one at 5000v. It hurts, really hurts. My version delivered about 6ma (milliamps). Not much, but at 5000v, it can put more than enough current in your heart to stop it.

3) Refined capacitor discharge:
By far the most efficient design for its intended purpose. The is an actual stun-gun operation. Charge a 400v cap (1-4uF) then discharge it through a step-up tranformer to about 25-100kV. Short shock time, so it doesn't burn, and its average power it pretty small (25kW pulse for 50ns, every 0.1s).

I suggest that anyone wanting to build an actual STUNGUN should do their research into the relative voltage and current values the human body can take. I've known many people who say 'its the volts that jolt and the amps that kill' - People who say this know very little about Electricity.
Need I remind anyone about V=IR. where R is the resistance of the body, which we assume is fixed. At 12V, very little current can flow into the human body (uA??). Jack this up to kV and the limit of current flow is down to the power supply. If you build something that CAN deliver 50mA, at 3000V and decide to test it on a friend, buy a black suit :wink:

I'm sorry for nagging, but, why do you want a stungun anyway?
I've seen so many people requesting stungun designs and then not know exactly what they're doing, most of them were under 16, and one even wanted one for his teacher.
I understand the technical interest in the subject, but who really needs a stungun?

I'm done.

Blueteeth.

Youre right.Most of the pepole dont even need them.

I once made one out of an old 220V/12V transformer and an rele. I got ou to 80 V form it.I was simply bored.These small ones can be fun since they shock at an not dangerus power.

A frend almost fell of the chair wen i unexpectedly shockd him (Good thing he has a sence of humor) :) :)

I am considered to be a large man in my country. I am 74 inches tall and weigh 98 kilos( I cannot remember know how to conver to pounds). I was an amateur bodybuilder and still have significant muscle mass. I have had a stun gun used on me and it did not knock me down, it was painful, but made me very angry. I respectfully advise that someone that will be using such devices, also have some training in how to control an aggressive opponent. It would be very sad to use such a device thinking you will protect yourself; only to bring further danger to your person. I think that the kubaton is a better approach if you have a resonable amount of upper body strength and arm speed. Blood and broken bone will take the fight out of most men. DT

I live in a place where stun guns are illigal but want to make one, more for an ignition purpose, I dont have much electronical knowledge but hey thats why im here! I want to build the easiest one and was thinking http://www.armory.com/~rstevew/Public/StunGuns/dazer.htm
or
http://www.rlocman.com.ru/am/a06002.htm

If anyone can tell me the basics on stun gun for dummys Id appreciate it also i could use some help finding the parts
http://canada.newark.com seems like my best bet but dont know what parts are the right ones
thanks for the help

Re: Hmm, disapproving..

Blueteeth said:
<snip>but who really needs a stungun?

I'm done.

Blueteeth.
Blueteeth, I agree with you, but you opened yourself up to the question: Why have you made several of them?

Ron

Areco said:
I live in a place where stun guns are illigal but want to make one, more for an ignition purpose, I dont have much electronical knowledge but hey thats why im here! I want to build the easiest one and was thinking
http://www.armory.com/~rstevew/Public/StunGuns/dazer.htm

***Not a Stun Gun, But yes it will deliver a Shock
or

https://www.rlocman.com.ru/am/a06002.htm

*** Totally Useless

If anyone can tell me the basics on stun gun for dummys Id appreciate it also i could use some help finding the parts
https://canada.newark.com seems like my best bet but dont know what parts are the right ones
thanks for the help

*** Since it Appears your in Canada, You Could Email Me to get the parts.

There is no good reason to build one. It will not be as safe, compact, or effective as a commercial one and as far as projects go it really doesn't teach you much of anything useful that I can see. I mean, the odd case size and shape alone would mean it's something you couldn't carry and wield effectively. Building a nice sparky Jacob's Ladder is a better idea IMHO.

The other thing is stun guns are not really even useful self-defense weapons when properly designed. I saw some friends sitting around the campfire "stunning" each other with one and it wasn't doing much of anything. Self defense instructors readily show that simply blocking the stun gun with an arm will, at best, stun that arm for only a moment while allowing an attacker to clock you upside your head or grab you or the stunner itself with the other arm. The effect doesn't extend much past the point of contact, you must remain in contact, and the area recovers very quickly once it's removed. Basically this is pointless if you don't land a torso hit AND hold it there. The shock value of a crackling stun gun was fearsome when they first came out, now people just laugh at it.

Tasers work better because you can keep applying power as necessary to keep them down. Direct contact units are not useful in this capacity.

Now pepper spray, that stuff takes people down and they usually stay down. And since you can basically hose it at a person it's quite likely to strike the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back